Fly Fishing Forum banner

Weekend report

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Guernseybass 
#1 ·
Fished from the kayak all weekend. Friday found fish surfacing in North Bay and took a bunch up to 25 inches, smaller fish here and there in the Narrows. Sat we missed the Rip Ryder which ended up being cancelled anyway so we spent the day in Brewster. Plenty of fish but had a hard time getting them to take. Cruised a bit off the outer bar and found fish surfacing and birds working. Took several fish in the mid 20's. Sun we hit Barnstable Habor and found lots of large finicky fish. Crab patterns dead drift in a swift current finally did the trick for a couple of fish around 26 inches. There were lots of bigger fish in the area but it seems I have much to learn about fooling them on the flats. Would love to meet up with some of you to pick your brains about it. I'll be heading back Thursday night. Any one interested in South Beach Friday?

#2 ·
Gseries69 said:
There were lots of bigger fish in the area but it seems I have much to learn about fooling them on the flats.
me too.

I got schooled on the southside yesterday.

it seems that if you catch fish on the beach blindcasting small eel flies stripped quickly across the top, those same fish will ignore /won't see your well placed weighted crab patterns later on the flat.

after watching keeper after keeper swim over my well placed crab flies (some up to under my rod tip before spooking) and admiring the bass swimming and rolling on the top, i finally figured they wanted a small eel stripped across the top :eek:

I changed my fly and next shot a mid 20" fish followed and charged it just as i ran out of line.

then the tide pushed me off the flat :(

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.