Fly Fishing Forum banner

Tarpon Flies

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  nevada caster 
#1 ·
After reading so much of the lastest talk about Tarpon I thought it might be a good idea (especially for us novices) :roll: to maybe post some of are ties. In hopes some of you Pro's will also ablige :lildevl: .

All of the following are tied on a Mustad 34007 size 2/0.
Are as follows: Seaducer, Bucktail,Brown and Orange,Black Death, Cockroach.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
tarpon flies.. some suggestions

Although I have been tarpon fishng for about 5 years, I don't consider myself an expert, but there are a few things you might consider.

Don't limit yourself to one kind or size of hook. Occasionally you want a fly to sink faster, and you should have some heavier hooks. I tie about about half on Mustads, and half on Owner Aki's that are about twice as heavy (but rust). You can also vary the size of the hook.

One of the biggest problems with tarpon flies is that they tent to foul; one or more feathers get on the wrong side of the hook. Tarpon will not take them. You can reduce fouling by tying in a loop of heavy monofilamet on the rear of the hook, and tying all feathers above the mono loop.

The flies look good, very good, but a few may indicate that the feathers are not perfectly aligned.

Just my2 cents.

#4 ·
I use few different hooks for the same reasons you mention - generally for sink rate but also for Baby's upto about 60lb vs. all others

Fly #1 and #2 iare tied Flatwing style and as such I wanted a lighter, smaller hook so I went with a Mustad Signature series C70S in 1/0 (no epoxy on the head either to keep it light)

Fly #3 is tied with splayed feathers so it pulses on the retuieve and pushes more water. It is tied on an Eagle Claw 254 3/0 (heavyish hook)

Fly #4 is tied with a Mustad Signature series C70S in 3/0. Heavier and sinks faster along deeper pockets

#5 is tied on my favorite Tarpon hook, a Tiemco 600SP 1/0. The 1/0 hook has the same gap as most 3/0 hooks but maintains a nice, small, light size and is super sharp and strong (expensive though).

#6 ·
Thanks for the kind critique's
Does anyone have any comments on some of the "bunny" tarpon patterns I see on the websuch as the "toad". It seems to me they may sink at a faster rate once the fur is water logged but they also must get pretty heavy to cast. I've also seen that technique of using the mono loop to help stop fouling, looks like agood idea.
thanks for the input!

#7 ·
tight-lines said:
Thanks for the kind critique's
Does anyone have any comments on some of the "bunny" tarpon patterns I see on the websuch as the "toad". It seems to me they may sink at a faster rate once the fur is water logged but they also must get pretty heavy to cast. I've also seen that technique of using the mono loop to help stop fouling, looks like agood idea.
thanks for the input!

I been very successful with bunny type flies when fishing for trophy northn pike (42" or more) up in Manitoba. And, I intend to do the same when fishing for tarpon in Belize. I'm a very lazy fly tryer and try to keep things as simple as possible. I'll be tying on 37004 0/2 and 0/3 Mustads. The total length of the fly will be 4-5". Keeping it simple, I first tie in a loop at the bend of the hook, then the tail (with a few slivers of flash on either side of the tail, but not past the tail), then palmer a cross-cut rabbit in from the tails tie in up to the eye. sometimes I'll build up the area around the eye so that I can put on some eyes, but most of the time the flies are eyeless (lazy, eh?). When using these flies (some up to 7-8") for pike, I've had no problem tossing them. Even though they get water logged, they are so streamlined, that there is no wind resistance, and they are real easy to throw. BWT, although I'm not a bad caster, I'm not the greatest, either.

Interestingly, my flyshop guy suggested that I do a little Merkin like head (using poly yarn) for these flies, so that they won't sink too fast. However, it would seem to me that once casted, the stripping should keep the fly from going below the tarpon. Although, having a little "neutral-like" bouyancy may make for a somewhat better controlled presentation. What do you think?

#8 ·
bunny flies

Interestingly, my flyshop guy suggested that I do a little Merkin like head (using poly yarn) for these flies, so that they won't sink too fast. However, it would seem to me that once casted, the stripping should keep the fly from going below the tarpon. Although, having a little "neutral-like" bouyancy may make for a somewhat better controlled presentation. What do you think?
I think the "toad" does exactly that to tell you the truth I couldn't for the life of me figure out why they put that polly head on it. But I think your flyshop guy nailed it. I use alot of bunny flie for salmon and they do sink like rocks.

A few more ties the first one is a cart. bunny with yellow marabou collar and then a cart. wool head. By the way I used that mono loop technique to try to minimize fouling. Seemed to work well when I was practicing in the yard :hihi:

Attachments

#10 ·
for Dawn and Dusk - The Black and Purple pattern hands down!

You can tie this lots of ways but my two favorites are:
1) Like a snake fly w/ spun deerhair head and splayed black and purple hackles - VERY effective as the splayed feathers pulse on the retrieve.

2) Flatwing like above - I like the supple wiggle of the flatwing hackles and palmered schlappen head.

#11 ·
casting bunny flies

Wind resistance is important in fly desigm, and bunny flies offer plenty of wind resistance even when dry. Since distances of 80' or more are often required, I have gone to baitfish pattern and feathered patterns for most of my tarpon fishing. They have less resistance in the wind. I have just about every color bunny tarpon fly that you can imagine, but they rearely come out of the box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.