Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean's Wedding Present Idea - PLEASE READ!

11K views 48 replies 27 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
OK - as of 8am pacific time, our webmaster Sean Ransom sailed off into the sunset to get hitched to his true love. He will not be back on line for several days so I thought I would take this opportunity to suggest a collection to buy him his own Spey rod. I know what you're thinking... Juro just wants his IMX back... well OK that might be just a little bit true - but he has been dreaming about this T&T forever and his bride to be nixed any hopes of that purchase before the various costs of the wedding, honeymoon, and the move to the new house came into play.

I was going to do the Bon Marche registry thing but then I have no idea how that stuff works. Flyrods I understand.

Read the details below and SIGN UP HERE

Here's how it will work -

I have located the rod he wants at a fraction of the cost of the same rod sitting on a store shelf - $270. We could make contributions toward this amount from anyone who wants to take part, the amount will be divided equally by the number of participants. So if we get 25 people, it's around $10.80 each. If we get 50 it's $5.40 each, if we get 100 it's 2.70 each, etc.

I guess at some point the amount will get so low and the number of payments so high that it will be more work than benefit so let's cut it off at 100 people. Cost per person will depend on number of participants so let's set a minimum as well... TBD.

The person who volunteers to collect the money will receive a Rio flyline of their choice for their troubles.

History:

Sean joined us during the migration of our old forum to the new software. The old company went under with the dotcom crash. I was up past 2am several nights trying to save the old messages, and if not for Sean we would have never made it over. Some people who had not come to the Forum in a while didn't even know we had gone through hell to move to a new provider, that speaks volumes to me on how good of a job Sean did.

Then we merged with Spey Clave to get Dana off that dreaded MSN service. Although there were physical differences in the data itself, Sean wrote a spider to extract all the messages and built an archive of every message ever posted in the old Speypages forum within the new Spey Clave board.

Then more recently we went thru a hellish server move where everything had to be re-installed on a new server from scratch because we grew too much.

Many of you who encounter problems, forget passwords, can't sign up, etc - know that he takes at least half of the requests before I can get to them.

He has been without a doubt a major contributor behind the curtain and I think this would be a nice gesture of our gratitude. The number of hours he has put into this site is second only to yours truly and Dana, and we could not possibly afford his services if he asked for what they are paying on the street for his skills and dedication.

Please reply if you are interested in this program or if you have suggestions or improvements.

BTW - I'd like to get this all done and cleaned up before he comes back so it remains a surprise!

See less See more
#28 ·
Poul, P Bear hair would be good!

Illegal as all he.. south of the border down U. S. way. (how do I get music in here??).:D But there is nothing that will replace the 'real thing.'

Love Canada with all my heart but ... you guys gotta get the exchange rate more in my favor. Good time when the Euro was at about 86 cents to the dollar and now just short of "par." 'Sold' at .03 short of 'par,' and did quite nicely thank you very much.:devil: The stock market is not where you make your $ if you want to pay attention, ... and take the risks involved.

The "spread" just about paid for the 3.5 weeks with Joanie. Double Good Thing.
fae

#36 ·
Fred,

I did not try to get my new bride into fly fishing, but I did with downhill skiing and tennis. She thought I was trying to kill her on some of the mountain trails I took her down in NYS and Colorado. Although in two years with me and lessons she got to be a decent down hill skier. Tennis doubles did not work though.

Fly fishing never tried and she has never asked me to go with. She knows we need a little quiet time alone occassionally and beside she does not like bugs and snakes:hehe:

Hal

#38 ·
"Tennis doubles?" Teach your wife ...

Sounds as bad as teaching a wife how to drive .. not a good thing.:eek:

On the skiing thing: were the lessons before, or after, you'd 'doubled down' on her life insurance policies?
:smokin:

Hal: forgot to answer an earlier question of yours on a different 'thread' vis. a vis. legal fishing time in Oregon. For fish considered to be "game fish" the one hour before to one hour after daylight is a Statewide Reg. Covers all rivers, ponds, lakes, etc. Page 12 of the Oregon Reg's lists which fish are considered "game fish;" so I guess you could throw handgranades at anything else at 3am.

Something else to do when "the Cat' blows me out of bed at zero dark 30?:confused:

#39 ·
great idea!

Tell us how to do this!

I would prefer to send $5 or $10, especially if I send a check.

The idea of a rod for the wife is a great concept, but a lot would depend on the individual. ANd without someone else providing casting lessons, might not be a good idea early in a marriage!

Juro, the forum provides many of us with the assurance that good things are happening out in the world even if geopraphy, work, family etc may keep us away from some of the activity. Coming up with something like this every once in a while is a positive thing for us. Thanks.

#40 ·
If I am not mistaken, we are close to $10 each now and will be approaching $5 very soon.

JimW has put together a signup sheet that calculates the cost per person, check or paypal, contact info, etc. This will be up shortly.

How about if we cut it off at $5? Anyway, look for it this afternoon.

#45 ·
PM I know you are joking, but the door is always open for people who can handle the heavy lifting behind the scenes. Just let me know you if are really interested and I will put you on the roster for the next major undertaking and on the alias for the email "webmaster@flyfishingforum.com" that Sean and I share responsibility for.

pmflyfisher said:
Whats the per person cost allocation now ?

Maybe we should do those for all loyal forum supporters that need a new spey rod ? (Except for Fred he already has enough)

:chuckle:

#46 ·
Juro, good call! And it just might get his mind off ..

all the "nut cases" he has to deal with on a day to day basis." God, you couldn't pay me enough to do what he has to put up with every day. Been there, done that .. and (trust me on this one) there isn't enough money to compensate.

But I love contimplating the idea of an Atty. with a baseball hat on backwards, running the Board.

Whooooooa!!!!!!!!!!!!!:devil:

#49 ·
PLEASE officially put your name in the hat using the below(the previous thread was just to gauge level of interest)...

JimW -

I just added Fred's snail mail address to the form...

Could we put the "check out the list" link on the main page like you have on the rhody clave signup?

thanks Jim... your efforts are truly appreciated.

Thread has been closed to further posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.