Fly Fishing Forum banner

Shameless plug - Sage

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Fred Evans 
#1 ·
Purchased a sage rplxi 9'9# last year for the salt. Absolutely love it. Broke the tip off 3 Saturdays ago while landing a striper on a friend's boat. Mailed to Sage on Monday, 5/21. Returned to me Saturday, 6/10 - looking like new and ready to fish. Spoke to the service dept once to confirm they'd received the rod, at which time they took me through the repair, estimated ship time, etc. I was a bit nervous sending it in as it was the 1st "top end" rod I'd broken, but their service & workmanship really impressed me.

#5 ·
Good news-Bad news. Custom rods can be wonderful things (like Gary Anderson's out of Rogue River Oregon). But bust one and you're in deep do-do. Manufacture will replace the section of the blank, you just have to hope like heck the builder is still in business and wants to back a warranty.

Fellow broke the butt section (at ferrel) of my old 7136-4. Sage had no problem with the new piece ... but it cost me (with shipping) almost $150 for the new butt section built.
All the savings of a 'custom' rod went right down the drain and then some.
Live and learn.
Fred

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.