Fly Fishing Forum banner

Once You Go Yak ...

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Roop 
#1 ·
... You want to keep coming Back !!!

Yes, I have joined the Yak Crowd! My dad called me when he ran accross this deal. Heratage Feather Lite 36# (9'6" X 30" wide); they were $50 off Plus a free paddle; he was getting one, so I said get two.

This was two weeks ago & I finally tested at a local pond this afternoon, then I finally got out last night on the N. Shore.

Got my first Sleigh Ride from a 35" line-sider on an epoxy minnow. Spent the next 45 minutes in the middle of a Bass/Blue Blitz, complete with 100's of birds & spraying bait. Landed a few more schoolie bass 24-27" & lost several flies to blues (of course I neglected to bring wire on the Yak! D'OH). Padled away from breaking fish as the sun set (no Light either).

I'm looking forward to more Yak fishing. I now need to Re-organize my gear to be traveling Light, but still have everything I need. (Like wire & a signal light, pump, whistle, etc.).

Anyone have a good diddy bag list for Saftey & fishing stuff???

#2 ·
Greg,

Welcome to the club - congrats on your initial success.

I bring:
1. Whistle attached to my PFD
2. Light
3. Compass & or PFD
4. A pump is worth it's weight in gold
5. Spray skirt

The hard part is trying to fit in the necessities for fishing.

Spin rods & rubber make it an easy job;)

I'm down to one fly box, one spool of tippet material & a spool of wire.

Good luck - let me know if you're going to be in the Pocasset area & we can pull a sunset cruise.

Roop

#3 · (Edited)
...what Roopmeister said and...

Greg...
If you like it and don't want to lose it...tie it to you or your boat.
If you dump, everything that's not connected will be claimed by the fish godz!
Don't attach anything (rod and/or paddle holder, etc) that can interfere with your paddle stroke...anything pointy will eventually claim a knuckle if it's in reach.
If it's metal and you don't rinse it off you will get to replace it next year.
If you leave the boat on your roof rack it will either be stolen or, if tightly secured by straps, warped by the sun...also, UV's are BAD! Store your boat out of direct sunlight.
Stay out of the way of determined charter boat captains and always assume you are invisible to common power boat drivers.
Negotiate channels quickly/efficiently otherwise you become a challenging target for the power boat squadron. They score points and you lose.
Compile a check list of everything you need and go through it before you leave the house.
and...
Take along a pad and pen/pencil to write down any profound revelations as they occur...rigging, sponteneous modifications, and ways to do things better the next time.
Congratz!...The learning curve is doable and after you get comfortable, it getz better and better!

#4 ·
Excellent! You've gotta love the sleigh ride. I'd add a cell phone with the coast guard and harbor master tele to that list of saftey equipment. I almost needed it Saturday morning. I put in ~6am it was a little windy but not too bad. By the time 8am rolled around I was on the West side of Plymouth beach and the wind was cranking from the E-NE. The driving chop made for alot of submarining on a 1 mile crossing to get back to the car. Not a lot of fun but doable with the skirt. I guess what I'm trying to add is be prepared, it's great to go light but conditions can change very quickly so safety gear is not the place to skimp. I have a little drybag for the cell with lanyard to my PFD, you can speak and listen right through the bag.

#5 ·
...What does a REAL Yaker wear under his kilt...oops, I mean skirt?!...

Ideally, there should always be alot more water on the outside...
With that in mind, use a spray skirt and you won't take on gas when you bust through waves/wakes...otherwise, slowly but surely you boat will gain weight (and worse) as it continues.
Even with a skirt in place there will be some slosh so a dry bag should be on the "list"...a safe place for cell, keys, whatever...

It's a good idea to get out onthewater with friends like Jim...
Rather than trying to re-invent the wheel...
You can drastically shorten the learning curve and pick up rigging ideas by seeing what's already out there and picking off what works for you...

YAK Concentrate...just add water and enjoy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.