Fly Fishing Forum banner

Coyote

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  speydoc 
#1 ·
Curious as if anyone is aware of a source for coyote tail.

Since local steelhead rivers have been closed, I have been feeding my addiction by experimenting with some tubefly patterns. One of the ones that looks promising in both the vise and the sink includes a sparse double wing of coyote tail. So far I am using a section of tail that is probably 20+ years old. It is left over from my days in North Idaho where winter was spent with a varmit rifle instead of a speyrod.

Should the pattern prove a keeper, I will eventually need a supply of tail. Sure, I could substitute but I have already named the pattern the Coyote Ugly so that just isn't an option :)

sinktip

#3 ·
Truth to this! Who is that doggie walking by the window??

Recently moved to Ashland, but our 'old neighborhood' in east Medford was a 5 minute drive from down town. Not unusual to see one of these 'critters' walking down the middle of a residential street. Would always 'count the cats' after we saw one.
:whoa:

#4 ·
Coyote Source?

I seem to recall that within the last year, one of the two fly tying magazines that I subscribe to did write an article about all the uses for coyote fur, if you can locate a copy, there may be a source listed, otherwise, a balloon over the muzzle of a .22 will quite things somewhat. ;)
Since the mags mentioned are not Forum sponsors, I will only say that they are published by companies on opposite coasts.
Good luck.

#5 ·
Sinktip,

Try the fur buyer in Seattle, I can't think of their name at the moment though. They have been around for around 80 years and are one of the world's largest fur buyers. I know they get coyote skins and tails, and they like to sell the second or damaged skins and tails to get them out of the place for cheap. I still can't think of their name though they are down on the south side of town. I want to say their name is Goldberg, but I don't think that is correct.

#6 ·
Thanks all. I have a couple places to start once what I have runs out.

I was going through some pictures from my Mom's estate last night and lo and behold a picture of six of the critters lined up on the snowbank and me posing with my old trusty 22-250. If I only would have known then :hehe:

#7 ·
Dog tail

The fur buyer is called Goldburg or Goldberg cann't rember which , it's been awhile sence I was trapping muskrats and racoons for hunting money . Another source if they haven't moved out of state would be the Seattle Fur Exchange . They used to be huge . They used to be located down by Southcenter . If Those donn't pan out maybe gve Quilceta tannery in Marysville a call or a swing by a taxidermist . If all else fails shave the neighbours German Shepperd . :devil: Would Artic Fox work or is that to fine ? Later Bruce

#9 ·
My shepard looks nervous each time I aproach her tail, it has been trimmed several times! If one separates out the underfur and then "cements" the base with a hot glue gun one has a material that can be dyed and stored indefinitely - the fur of to the side on the tail of a shepard is very similar to coyote, just a little bit stiffer - it has the luster of polar bear but is softer, almost midway between polar bear and artic fox!?!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.