Fly Fishing Forum banner

Closest Smallies to Boston

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Lefty 
#1 ·
Wondering what people know about eastern Ma. smallies. What's the closest smallmouth fishery to the Boston area? How about the Merrimack above the Essex dam? Concord River? Wachusset Res.?

Lefty

#5 ·
Sorry Juro but Whites and Walden just turn me off (glad I got that off my chest, feel like a heretic). I'm thinking the Merrimack with the added bonus of other possible species. The salt is shutting down big time up north so I'm looking to get some smallie action in. Preferably in a better enviroment than the over trampled fishtanks in Concord.
In case anyone doubts my assesment of the No. Shore salt FF scene, I welcome you to come find some decent fish, then tell me where they are! (better bring a 500 grain or better:eyecrazy: )

Lefty

#6 ·
Have you tried Hampton yet? Early morning incoming tide should be full force by dawn, light coming from the east, looking over the shoals to the west - should see some bigtime activity. Better than poking around in bathwater. A late morning flood would be better, but there should be huge amounts of bait in the estuary now.

Statistically Pisquataqua has much bigger fish but figuring them out is another story. I haven't invested any time in it having no boat - but with your new motor you should be able to negotiate those currents if you were interested.

BTW - Walden is nice this time of year - hardly anyone fishes it now. :razz:

#8 ·
Hi Lefty,

I would take a look at the Assabet river in W. Concord and Stow. Wachusett can be very good in spring (you might run into a landlocked salmon or laker as a bonus). I have fished Walden since I was about 8 years old and most of the big bronzebacks that hung out near the railroad tracks are gone. Lot's of twinkies from what I've seen lately. Some fool illegally introduced carp back in the 80's and I think they have been feasting on the redds.

Most of the good water out this way has been privatized over the last 5 years including Ferrar pond in Lincoln (which contains some outright lunkers). Too bad a few irresponsible fisherman have ruined it for the rest of us :tsk_tsk:

Best of luck,

BigDave

#9 ·
Bigdave,
Wow I was a fan of Farrer pond. I personally witnessed an 8 lb Largemouth pulled out of there. IT was 22" long. My friend was using spinnerbaits.
Anyway I called the state about it's closure seeing how it was technically a "Great Pond" which means over 6 acres (??) Turns out the pond was grandfathered since it was man made back in the revolutionary war era. So it could be posted. I've caught what looks like Northerns in there too. There is a flood connection through a creek to the Sudbury river so it wouldn't surprise me.

Lefty

#10 ·
Lefty,

Wow 8lbs is a big bucketmouth. I have a picture of a 6lb on my wall at home - not a real long fish, just shaped like a football.

Thanks for the clarification about Ferrar. I actually called Lincoln police last year and they were under the impression that if I could find a place to throw my canoe in that the water itself was public domain. Need to get back on the pond sometime soon.

You're probably right about the northerns as my friend catches them from his yak all the time in the Sudbury River.

BigD:devil:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.