Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bush pushing for krill fishery!

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Feiger 
#1 ·
We could see a commercial Krill fishery in USA waters soon. With the Bush white house wanting more aquaculture off our shores the need for more food to feed farm fish will increase. If this happens will the already fragile food chain collapse?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/

Story down the page a bit under super bowl story.

#2 ·
http://archives.seattletimes.nwsour...splay?slug=krill23m&date=20060123&query=krill

(note the bill in congress to increase fish farming by 500 percent which is surely this initiative behind closed board room doors)

When it comes to the environment, this administration is unconscious.

Krill is the foundation of the northern seas, the basis for everything from the herring to the whales and thus everything in between. I have old video footage of Swiftsure Bank's waters off-colored for acres (miles?) with krill and it was a chunky soup of everything you could imagine in a living churning food cycle that transformed the cold depths into a fertile environment rich with flashing herring, cruising dogfish, spouting whales and coho and king salmon in every direction as far as the eye could see, and as deep as you could get your line to sink.

In fact what stands out most while motoring out to the bank is the irony between these dark, hostile and crushingly deep 1000ft plus north pacific seas and the bounty that surrounds only the places where these krill are - night and day, heaven and hell, jekyl and hyde.

To vaccuum this up for some capitalistic self-serving good ol' boy shareholder's group is nothing short of rape. It boils down to priorities, and the almighty dollar reigns supreme. Such a fishery would transform these rich shoals of activity into frigid lifeless depths. Their vision is clouded by greed.

#3 ·
OC,

What amazes me about this issue is that is has been floating around in Congress for at least 5 years and still there hasn't been much of an outcry from fishermen about it. I keep hoping I will see the outcry and folks start putting pressure on Congress to put a halt to such nonesense; unfortunately, I've not seen it yet. One can hope though.

#4 ·
Such a bill, even if passed in the House would required 60 votes in senate (filibuster).
Psycho Pombo (R) from CA has already passed in te HOuse the change in the Endanger Species Act which would require protection only when species is almost extinct... Yes I am not kidding!!!
Luckily numbers of moderate Republicans in Senate + Democrats are already ready to vote against this bill if brought to the floor, not to mentioned lack of 60 votes.

During budget negotiations Pombo put proposal to sell 10-15 national Parks for Development. It failed.
As we can see there are quite a few blind, sick people besides “W”.
We definitely need some checks in congress. May be in the House during Fall 2006 mid-term election?

#5 ·
Wow!!!

It's amazing what happens when you combine pure ignorance w/ some one who has the "don't give a ****" gene... When at Harvard, or Yale, or what ever freakin' Ivy League school daddy got him into, it was obvious ecology wasn't apart of his curriculem. Tho, to be fair, I seriously doubt Bush proper is behind such a proposal. If asked, I'd be suprised if he could spell "krill". More likely, it's one of his clueless, industry tied, political appointtee freaks that is bringing this forward... The human race is finding yet another way to **** in it's own house....
feiger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.