Fly Fishing Forum banner

New and Improved Stripping Basket

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ssully 
#1 ·
Well after Friday PM I finally got tired of my spinning gear and wished I had the long wand to play with the schoolies.

Also a nice barb by Juro "Geez Sully where's your flyrod?" Juro I always thought you were a barbless guy."
I vowed to replace my stripping basket cuz I can't SWFF without it.

At the Spring Clave I noticed Hawkeye aka "The Pope" was fishin with a clear basket which looked cool. Friday at lunch I picked up a new belt at BN. A real nice elastized one with my prereq. quick release buckle. Then yesterday I stopped at the brand new Walmart in town and perused their extensive rubbermaid dishpan collection. The color selection was blue and clear. I picked up the standard 12qt. tub and couldn't believe how bulky it was. Man I used one of these things? Then I noticed right next to them a 5.7 qt. version made of lightweight plastic Hmmm... I bought two at $0.98 each.

I got home and proceeded to disect one with an exacto-knife.It kept cracking at the insertion point of the blade. After butchering both of them I was ready to scrap the idea and go back and buy the klunker 12qt. that is made of rubber. Then it dawned on me. Let's try to cut the required holes in the plastic with the tip of a soldering iron. BINGO! Back to Walmart for another dollar special tub. Needless to say this baby weighs next to nothing. It's lighter, smaller in size and depth but after a little lawn casting it's the balls.

Total cost: $9.95

See less See more
#2 ·
Sully - the finesse gear you use is fine sporting gear like any fly rod; and the fly rod you use is second to none... you just don't mess around!

Funny you mention cutting the groove... I was watching an infomercial about the drill-plunge cut-route-jigsaw doohickey for three easy payments of 39.95 before midnight tonight and thought... that would be the right tool for plunge cutting belt grooves in washtubs for strip baskets (among other things).

My brother in law stopped by today and mentioned he picked up an alternative but similar tool at Home Depot for about $20-30 (?). At that price I'll be looking!

Also, I have a Dremel tool but no side/plunge cutting bit. I wonder if they sell the bits individually?

Anyway, the hot gun sounds good - leaves a real smooth edge too I'll bet.

#4 ·
Great advise,

just a though, have you considered adding plastic fingers to seperate the line... if so, get your weed-wipper?? and cut out some line, fold them to the required lengs and sodder a nub on the end-- now super glue or epoxy the ends. Voila, wind stopper.

best, Capt. Ruben Perez
East Coast Guide Service
http://www.seaduckhunt.com/marine.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.