Fly Fishing Forum banner

Best intermediate line?

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  CSJ60 
#1 ·
Hi

I am slowly putting together my gear for the Spring meeting.
I need to buy a new intermediate line and would like to know which is the best.

Many thanks for any advice.

Pete

#2 ·
I think the "best" is going to depend largely on what you enjoy casting. I love shooting heads for instance so my favorite INT line is the Rio Outbound I have a 9wt for my single hand GLX 9wt and a 13wt for my two-hander.

Of the lines that are styled like "true" fly lines, I'd recommend the Cortland Little Tunny - I have one for my 8wt and it excells with small flies more more delicate presentations.

#4 ·
Pete......I like Airflo cold salt intermediate....casts extremely well and never tangles....but to be honest I have never tried the little tunny, nor rio lines.....the above 3 lines are the ones that are most frequently used as far as I can see when I'm at the Cape....I think that you would most likely be satisfied with any of the 3.
My sense is that if you buy any of these lines you will most likely keep using them because all are great lines.
Ron used

#5 ·
I use both the Rio outbound & the Airflo Aqualux. Either one works good. I cannot say they never tangle, However to be fair everything that resembles string or rope gets tangled in my presence, air hose, electric cord, fly line etc..:( . I guess if I had a preference I would buy the Rio

#7 ·
Paxton said:
Pete......I like Airflo cold salt intermediate....casts extremely well and never tangles....but to be honest I have never tried the little tunny, nor rio lines.....the above 3 lines are the ones that are most frequently used as far as I can see when I'm at the Cape....I think that you would most likely be satisfied with any of the 3.
My sense is that if you buy any of these lines you will most likely keep using them because all are great lines.
Ron used
Ron,

Have they improved that lines warm water performance? I remember that being a great line up until mid June and then on a hot day it would turn into sticky spaghetti in a basket and on a boat deck forget about it.

I agree that the RIO is hard to beat for a full line clear int. I really like the clear tip lines for the flats as well. 10' clear tip with floating running line is a good choice for big bright flats as you can pick up and re-cast long lengths of line. For short vis days a full clear a line or two up to load the rod for short shots.

Sean

#8 ·
Sean....re airflo line...I have never used it in a boat deck, nor tropics...so i can't comment...but given that it is designed for cold water application, you may be right. They have come out with a new ridge line design...they say it casts even better, which is hard to imagine. On the flats, i have never had any trouble at all with the airflo line.

#9 ·
PS: initially I was a little bumed when they went from clear to blue/clear (now they offer the original non improved line)....but to be honest....the color in my opinion has never seemed to make a difference...I use a 10ft flouro butt section and tippet......never experienced "line rejection or spooking". Do wish however for flats that someone would come up with a camo (shades of 3/4sand/1/4mottled green here and there) if not for the fish...at least to fool me :) Maybe I can wrap some of Pete's extra camo fatiques over the 1st 10 ft of line:hihi:
Ron

#10 ·
I've been using the Mastery Striper int. line (surf model) one size up on my Orvis TLS single hand 9#with amazing success. Shoots just fine and does not overload then rod. No noodling during hot weather on the deck. When it's really hot ,I strip it into a bucket of fresh sea water now and then to cool it down. I am buying an Outbound to try next in both floating and intermediate if they are still available.

Phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.