Fly Fishing Forum banner

Southeast Cape Cod Inshore Wade Saltwater Fly/Spin Fishing Report's and Ramblings:

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  RandyJones 
#1 ·
I hope you find my reports and articles entertainingly informative and mildly educational

6/10 S.E. Fishing Report:
The best two times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not. (Fisherman's Saying)

With today's sun and lighter winds, brought the anticipation of sight fishing the flats. We hit fish while sight fishing in 3 out of 3 spots. Did not see big numbers, but did see some big fish. There were just enough cruising by us all day to keep us on our toes.

(See Photo's)
Robert with his first ever "sight" fish. Also sighted this 29 inch'a!

(See Photo's)
Just a couple of Les's better fish from the flats today. Biggest was 32 inch's! Congrats to you both!!

It's a big Ocean, so where do the fish travel on a flat?
Ladder, 2 handed fly rod, few crabs, 1 spool of tippet and a long walk to an area Ive only looked at from a boat. Lobster man pulling traps, few terns diving for bait against the crisp morning blue bird sky and a lone clammer digging for next months rent. (No girls in grass skirts surrounding me in this one-ha) The water was retreating off the flat as I the walked out to another part of the Island that few, if any anglers frequent. This was not a day about fishing, but more of a day to study and learn a new area on foot to hopefully include in my staple of spots. Trying to unlock the secrets of currents, depressions and channels that create a rod map for fish on the incoming tide.

On the walk out I passed by areas that Ive studied and fished before and was thinking of a way to more easily describe to someone where the routes, roads of the fish are. To learn the routes where most fish travel is actually incredibly simple. Instead of looking at it at the low, which will also help. Simply look at where the water meets the sand, bars, and beach at 4 hours before the high. This is the route that most fish will take in 2-4 hours. Notice the bars, humps, which are not covered? These areas will give you a height advantage to better see them. In addition it will funnel most of the fish by you. This is a key ingredient as being 20 feet off can spell water void of fish, or more likely you will be standing directly where they live and travel. (He-he). Look for a shallow channel (s) that have a small amount of water in them, connecting to deeper water. As the tide rise’s they will use this area to search for food or transition through it. Look for small shallow coves. These coves are often left untouched as most anglers wade past them with out a second glance. I have stood in ankle deep water at the head of these coves and sight fished many a fish while others were stationed well out beyond their normal routes.

I find that by this determination it simplifies the whole process of how, where they will travel.
These are the same trails that never change through out the course of the summer. There is a lot of water out there that is empty of fish. Once these routes are learned, then one of the keys to fishing the flats more consistently is unlocked.

Best Fish's,

Randy Jones
randysjones@earthlink.net

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.