Fly Fishing Forum banner

S.E. Cape Wade, Fly, Flats, Tips, Ramblings

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  RandyJones 
#1 ·
Normally what we do is called "Fishing." Today, it should of been called " Catching." And catch they did. We had multiple double and triple hook-ups on the flats today with Sean, Paul and Kevin. The funniest thing today was when all 3 of my guest's rods were doubled over at the same time on the flats while WADE sight fishing into 3 feet of water. I normally dont fish when I guide, but I simply could not resist the temptation to cast at a school that was 30 feet in front of me. Couple'a strips and all 4 of us were tight to a fish.

Today I used mostly more realistic sand lance patterns than the usual white and chartreuse clousers. The Blues and Bass ate'm with eagerness. 12 to 16 pound tippets working fine. Hope this helps.

A few of the many landed fish from today's outing on the flats.

(See Photo's)

Congrats to you all!

The below adventure comes from a freind and client from Cuba. It's a must read.

Cuba was fantastic. We flew to Havana via Madrid and had a day there. We met one of the party who spoke Spanish and he showed us round. We went to the Cigar Factory-very interesting, the make 7000000 cigars a year in all.

Next day we were up at 5am for a bus ride, flight of one hour and then bus and finally a three hour boat ride 50 miles into the open ocean to the islands of the Jardinsdel Rena or the Islands of the Queen. No one lives there and they are truly tropical islands. We lived on a house boat which had been abandoned by the French Govt , it was originally used for ocean research. It was very smart and the food, always fish was wonderful! We had lobster every day!

We went out with a guide every day at 7.30 am and fished till 6pm with a lunch break. We caught bonefish barracuda snapper jack cravalle by spinning fly fishing and bait fished at night. Some times we were out fishing till 2am in the morning! I hooked and lost a tarpon and Michael hooked and lost four tarpon. We saw turtles dolphins iguanas a Cayman (a type of crocodile) and a rat that lives on the mangroves. It was quite an experience being so far out to sea and it must be one of the most remote places on the planet. The fishing was truly fantastic mainly because no one else fished it and it a was a huge area, as big as the Keys in Florida .

The photo shows my first Cuban barracuda

We returned to Havana for another day and then flew home. We had a good trip back except for British rail having problems on the line from London to Wakefield . It took us six hours to do a 2 hour Journey! I arrived in at 155 am on the Monday having set off from Cuba at 5.30 on Saturday night! I did have a sleep on the plane.

Everything is now back to normal,
All the Best
John

What an incredible experience!! As I was reading your story, my jaw hit the floor. Sounds amazing! Congrats on your fine adventure. Im sure you will have many pleasant dreams.
Best Fish's,
Randy

Stay tuned for more important lessons learned on this never-ending virtual fishing trip with your host Randy "The Yankee Angler" and friends.

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.