Fly Fishing Forum banner

Newbie spey line ?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
New set up on way Winston 14f vapor spey mod action 8/9 wgt wondering about line. I was set to buy Rio versi tip and shop rec Airflo multi tip, said airflo redesigned this year new taper and new welded/sleeved loop connections. Head seems about the same not sure about wgt of airflo head in grains not on their web site. Anyhow just a new caster here and interested in hearing comments from the professionals. Oh yeah Fred thanks for all the help with info on N Umpqua and Rogue Rivers. Timing of my trip not great for fishing but I gave er hell. Rich is a great guide and taught both my son and I the spey basics, if you see him down in Ashland let him know I said hello.
Ed Vargo

#4 ·
Aspenripper -

As Flytyer says, you'll get more from time on the water than anything else.

I would like to provide an additional perspective for what it's worth...

Rods are generally going to work well with lines that are in it's range of grains, with consideration for length of head and taper. The longer the head, the more grains it can handle.

The first thing to think about is your fishing.

If you are going to fish tight in canyons a long belly line is not the most sensible. If you are going to fish big rivers greased line presentation then a long belly might be exactly the right line.

Then from there think about the grain weights that match the rod, and other things like loops and tips, finish, durability, even color.

I agree with Flytyer, it's harder to find a bad line than a good one. Rio, Carron, Airflo, SA, Hardy, Partridge, Snobee - just to name a few sweet lines.

So I think the key pieces of information here are (1) how do you plan to fish and (2) what is the grain range that rod works with?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.