Fly Fishing Forum banner

Orvis Shootin Star Bamboo

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  OC 
#1 ·
Hey All,

So for my bday this year I am looking at getting a bamboo rod for small stream steelie fishing and am looking at a couple late 1950s orvis made shooting star models. One is 8'6" and the other is 9'. They are both 2/2s and come with 5" removable bottom grips which I like cause I could spey cast a little with them. Been looking for a rod to go with my great grampas 3 3/4 st. george and these may fit the bill.

I have never cast one and they would be bought sight unseen except for some pics I have of them. They both look in perfect shape. I have heard they are supposed to be excellent steelhead rods and was hoping someone on the forum has some experience with these models.

Thanks for any help or other models I could look at. Do not want to pay more than $600 for what would be a fishing rod and if there are others out there I should look at let me know.

Thanks,

-sean

#3 ·
A hardy of course :)

My great grandpa died about 10 years ago and I was given his trusty 3 3/4 st. george that I think is from the 50s. Been wanting to use it but it is too small for any of my spey rods. It should balnce these rods perfectly and there will be nothin cooler than landing a steelhead with this reel. Hope to pass it down to my kid once I have waded my last river.

-sean

#4 ·
Just catching on here dOh!

I am a admittedly a classic gear ignoramus but recently bought a good hardcover on antique and collectible fly gear (AJ Campbell), maybe I should take it down from the shelf and read it once in a while :p

Here's the deal everytime we fish together if you bring that setup you get first pass thru the pool ;)

#5 ·
Shooting Star..........

Sean, I have the 9' Shooting Star and use it for steelheads on small and large streams when fishing with dry lines. I am quite fond of it and I am most partial to the impregnated finish which is much more rain friendly than varnish.
The 9' version that I own cast a 9wf as far as it needs to be cast with very tight loops and will easily turn over the biggest piles of deerhair that you will ever want to skate.
I have mine paired up with an old 3 7/8" Perfect but I'm sure the St. George will be fine with either the 8'6" or the 9'.
I do not recall casting the 8'6" Shooting Star ( I'm certain I have) I just don't recall it enough to attest to its qualitys but all those Orvis rods are wonderful and a pleasure to fish. Not to mention look at, fondle, caress, and of course covet.
An added bonus is that the Orvis folks still refinish there rods and will make them like new for a pittance of what other refinishers will want to charge you.

#6 ·
Other Makers....

Sean there are too many other choices to get very specific, however just thinking about it the last few days I have (decided0 that the three rod makers that most of my Cane Nazi fishin buds use in no particular order are:
EC Powells 2 and 3 pieces 9-9'6"

Granger 9' -9'6" (Both Goodwin and Wright McGill)

Phillipsons 9'

The vast majority of these rods are 7wt most labeled as HCH and do handle the modern WF7 quite nicely.
I personaly like to fish the 7wts on the smaller streams where fish over 7 are exceptional and fish over 12# all but none exsistant, they will do the job but sometimes they take a set. The set can be removed so it really isn't a big issue. Bigger fish are easier on the Shooting Stars and there ilk. A 9wt Cane rod is not a wispy little delicate item don't be too shocked if at first you find it a bit heavier than you were anticipating, it will be.
I am headed out in the morning foe a few days and will be taking with me two rods both are 7 wts a 9' Phillipson Powr Pakt 3 piece and a Wright McGill Granger Special 9'6" 3 piece.
There are a lot of similaritys between Granger and Phillipson. Phillipson was a Denver prodigee of Goodwin Granger also of Denver.

#7 ·
Sean,

I'm proud of you! Summer fish are ment to be fished with cane. We will have to fish sometime soon. Don't you hate it when you have some guy in the run in front of you with one of the real long what do you call them poles just making all types of noise on the water. It's just got to scare the hell out of every fish in the river but the lower IQ fish such as Golden Bones.

#8 ·
Yes we will have to fish soon. Actually had a hard time sleeping last night thinking about taking a fish on bamboo. The old hardy screaming after hooking a fish on a riffle hitched fly is going to be something else.

I probably will never give up the long 'poles' but can see spending a lot of time with the old bamboo. Have a line on a couple and expect to own one in the next couple weeks. Can't wait.

Thanks Moonlight for the info and I think I have settled on the orvis for now. Although I did see a nice Phillipson for sale as well. Maybe I will have to get 2 :smokin:

-sean

#9 ·
Yo, Cane Freaks...

I can't take all this talk about wood. I got my South Bend out the other night and have been carressing it while watching the tube. Tomorrow I'll build a leader and grease the silk in case a steelie has enough energy left to bite my fly after crossing all the concrete. Take care, Poppy the Closet Cane Head

#11 ·
Sean,

And you shouldn't give up your long 'pole'. They are beautiful also and I admit that a 7wt for summer runs do feel so wonderful, light and effortless. But wait to you fish the cane, the beauty of the slow action, the feel of the swing, the take and the battle it self all become part of your entire body and self. That is something that has been lost in our high tech gear over the years, even all my Winstons as soft and perfect as they are do not match the feel of cane. Untill one fishes cane they could not understand the difference.

MJC ,

That South Bend is not a bad rod so enjoy it. I have one that I found in a basement for a 7 wt and it looks like it had never been used before. I used it only once and took a beautiful summer run on it two years ago and it felt every bit as good as my 1948 Hoolbrook for a 7wt.

One more thing about using cane is that it is mandatory that if you are fishing with a friend that uses one of those long poles he must allways give you first choice of going through every run first. If that long poler does not offer you first through then he is as bubbafied as they come in the fly fishing world.

#13 ·
OC said:
Sean,

One more thing about using cane is that it is mandatory that if you are fishing with a friend that uses one of those long poles he must allways give you first choice of going through every run first. If that long poler does not offer you first through then he is as bubbafied as they come in the fly fishing world.

This will put a whole new spin on the softwood lumber dispute :chuckle:

N I

#14 ·
North Island,

Yes, zen to the bone when fishing cane. Even the walk into a run over cobbel and river rock is enjoyable when holding a finely finished cane rod, an old Hardy reel with a long history from a friend who passed away many years ago. A floating line softend at home in heat, dye treatment to act more like silk and a beautifully tied summer steelhead fly at the end of your leader.

And yes to the soft wood dispute. From what I hear from the north woods of BC that there is concern that we Americans are buying up all the cane at an alarming rate also all the Hardy reels at an alarming rate. Our desire to own it all goes in all directions. :rolleyes:

#15 ·
Tell me about the hardy thing. Cannot believe the prices they are getting nowadays...

OC can you describe the process you use the make you lines more like silk? I am planning on fishing a DT on mine and was just curious about how you prepare your lines?

-sean

#16 ·
Yes Sean the price of an old Hardy is beyond my means. I was lucky that an old republican friend of mine that I used to guide gave me mine. He is dead now but I know of one republican who by the way claims he is no longer and I want to believe him except that he is buying old Hardy's at an alarming rate there fore I'm not so sure. But untill the republicans that fish exclusive rivers world wide stop buying up all the Hardy's on ebay you and I and many others will never afford one.

As for the line the double taper is correct. It would be an abomination to put one of those other types of lines on beauty. When you get your line you must come over and I will show you how to do the heat and dye thing. It is a secret process that I leaned from Craig and Jackie Mathews and John too. Hope no one thinks I'm a snob for not sharing but somethings need to be passed on quietly in true steelhead tradition one person at a time.

Looking forward to watching you fish a run with cane.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.