Fly Fishing Forum banner

fly pattern types

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 ·
Doing a project for the site and need to categorize fly patterns in a loose association of pattern types. Trying to keep the list as succinct as possible.

Here is what I have so far and let me know if I am missing any:

dry fly trout

nymph trout

streamer trout

salmon/steelhead dry ---maybe break into one for salmon and steelhead

salmon/steelhead wet

salmon/steelhead nymph

saltwater streamer

saltwater surface

warmwater surface

warmwater streamer

that is is so far. I am having trouble though with how a crazy charlie would fit in the above list or some of the other flats patterns. Also pike/muskie flies wouldn't have a home.

Any ideas? I really just want a blanket list without getting real specific.

Thanks for the help,

-sean

See less See more
#2 ·
Yah gotta have TUBES in there,

One might consider classic salmon are a separate category than steelhead dry/wet IMHO,

Terrestrials for trout,

Emergers too, what do you call "in the film"?

Saltwater seems to be such a hodgepogde that streamer alone can't cover it although I guess technically it does, another option would be to separate by species or fisheries maybe?

Tough exercise in classification, I see why you ask the question. Any taxonomists out there? :D

#6 ·
I like the idea of breaking saltwater into surface and subsurface. That will fit my needs dead on for this project. There will be other categories for fish species and fishery/location to go along with pattern type so this list just needs to be as generic as possible.

Also how could I forget terrestrials, emergers, and tubes.

Thanks for the help so far.

-sean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.