Fly Fishing Forum banner

8-22: WaCkY Reconnaissance

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  bdowning 
#1 ·
Two reasons for going to Waquoit this AM. One, I haven't been there since early July. Two, a reconnaisance mission to check status of tiny tunas.

Well, there were no bones or FA in the channel that I could see from sunup to when I left at 7:30. A few slashing rises WAY out of casting range off the beach that could just as
easily have been blues or hyperactive bass.

As for the fishing, it was the trademark WaCkY morning. Bass doing the nymphing routine in the channel when it was still dark out and fairly easily taken on swimmers or sandeel
flies. Nothing over 20 inches. At sunup, all hell breaking loose with baby bass slamming silversides against the jetties in great waves of whitewater for about an hour. Pulled some slightly bigger bass out from underneath the scrapping juniors on sluggo jigs. Not one blue in the mix.

-bd

#2 ·
Thanks for the recon report - wish I were there. I swear this year I am going to capture that on my video camera. I left it in my truck at the Rip Trip, losing the opportunity to capture that action; and had no charge in the battery at the Yakbone where there was a very cool display of silver fireworks on the water at one point. I had a still camera at Boneclave and caught some live busting bass action - but still I would like to get video to really capture the essence of it.

#3 ·
Funny, I was thinking the same thing as I was watching the action. Just never felt like humping the video cam all the way out there ;). But if you want a guaranteed video of a classic bass blitz (and maybe even funny fish, one hopes!), that's the place...

-bd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.