Fly Fishing Forum banner

Gotti Rods/Blanks

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  juro 
#1 · (Edited)
Gatti Rods/Blanks

I would appreciate opinions by users/builders of Gatti Rods.

I have a very good friend I am thinking of building a rod for. He appreciates fine, high quality gear and things that are less common. I think he might really enjoy a Gatti. I recently got started in building rods and this would be a great excuse to start another.

How do they stack up against rods like I am more familiar with, like Sage, Winston, etc.?

What do you like and dislike about them?

Based on what I've read on their web site they seem like excellent rods, but that's based on what they say and their "philosophy". I would like to hear from actual users.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Gatti

I am using a couple of Gatti's.
The IM6 quality rods are regular good rods, fast action and sturdy. I am using these now for about 4 years and very regular. No problem at all, casts great.
The higher modulus rods are in general all fast action, very light and crisp rods. But, due to the thin wall also vulnerable. Hit one with a nice sized goldbead and it is likely to break. Most often not at once, but after a while (always when not expected). Of these HM's I am using a #4 for 6 years, but always a little bit more carefull. You could say that the high modulus Gatti's could be compared to a racing horse: if handled with care great to ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.