Fly Fishing Forum banner

Restigouche Here I come

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Per Stadigh 
#1 ·
I am off to the Restigouche in the AM. 24 salmon and 2 grilse over the past 2 days for the camp have my expectations high. I can't wait to wet a line.
Good luck to all over the next few weeks

#3 ·
we fished for only 7 days out of the 9 we were there because the river got blown out for the last two, but it was still great.
It was the best August fishing we have ever had and there were a lot of fish, as well as big fish. I was concerned by the lack of grilse in the river but there were a lot of 12-18 pound salmon that i presume was last year's grilse run.
We didn't get to fish dries as much as I would have liked because of the high water but I did manage to get a 35 pounder to take a yellow bomber.
I ended up personally catching 23 fish, 6 grilse and 17 salmon.
We caught a lot of fish over 20 pounds this year, including a couple of 40s and 5 fish in their 30s. I will post up some pictures when I get back to college.

#6 ·
D3Smartie,

Sounds like you had a blast up on the R! It would be nice to try for salmon on your side of "the big pool" sometime.

I am reluctant to post what follows, but I will do it anyway with the risk of becoming the board's ultimate bore.

I get to deal with a good number of large salmons each year due to my involvment on the Kola Peninsula.

For me it is really hard to accept a full 40 pounds for the nice hen your brother caught. If he is anything like me (6'3" with longish arms) I would guess that fish to be 44", at the longest. Being a rather slim female with some time in the river it would be hard to push it past 30 pounds. That is a big fish, too!

Can you possibly have mixed the photos up???

"Tight lines!"

Per

#9 ·
my brother is 6'4"... the fish was 48 inches, and the measurements were the same as a fish killed back in the 70s when you could keep the big ones. that fish is mounted on the wall in the lodge and looks almost the same as the one my brother caught, it is 40 pounds.

every time anyone posts a picture with a weight people will try to say that the fish wasnt that big, or something to degrade it. Then others will jump on the bandwagon and say they agree,,whats the point? I will agree that the photo doesnt give the fish justice but no one disagreed with a fish I posted last year at 38 pounds and this fish was deffinately bigger.

#13 · (Edited)
All those are geat fish from what must be really prime water. My best guess, just off the hip, on weights is:

33, 26 23 17 24, 21, and 13 pounds.

Thanks a bunch for sharing this with us. No hard feelings, I hope, regarding my initial question mark on your brother's fish. You apparently love to fish - that is all that counts!!

Per

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.