Fly Fishing Forum banner

First Carp of the year

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  TonyCarpBoy 
#1 ·
I got skunked four times but finally had some success.

Last friday it was near 70 in minneapolis so I took the afternoon off and tossed flies at the carp in my neighborhood pond/creek pool.

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/img/015845.jpg

It was only a couple of pounds but there were over 50 nice carp sunning along the shore of a small pool. They are trapped in there and offer great sport all summer long.

When the water heats up they work the shallow flats like tailing bones or redfish. I improved my presentation skills greatly last year casting to carp doing so in this pool and a couple of others in my favorite streams nearby.

Go out and catch some carp.

Tony

#3 ·
Sunning Carp

Sunning carp are very spooky but they will often take a small nymph. It's all in the presentation. Likewise, Carp rooting in the shallows.
If you really want to get into it, read Carp on the Fly. And then like anything else, time on the water. :D

#4 ·
Way to go Tony! I got skunked on my first trip of the year. I took a ride to one of my favorite carp backwater spots on Sunday and saw dozens of carp of all sizes soaking up the rays in the shallow water. I casted at them for a while but they were not interested in anything I threw at them. I think I spooked them just getting to the bank. It was still fun finally getting out and waving the flyrod around.

Q

#5 ·
Re: Sunning Carp

JDJones said:

If you really want to get into it, read Carp on the Fly. And then like anything else, time on the water. :D
I hear great things about that book but I have gained most of my information from boards like this and a few good on-line sites.

Last year I fished at least 100 days specifically for carp on the fly. I am a true addict! The main goal this spring was to move back my 'first blood' (first release?) date and managed to do so by a couple of weeks.

I have scouted intensely for prime spots in my neighborhood and on my way home from work. You would be amazed at how much great carp water is out there. I have a series of 4 or 5 choices on my way home where I can stop, look for fish and then either grab the rod or hop in and drive to the next spot. My wife never even knows! I am having an affair with carp. lol

What part of the country do you live in?

Favorite flies?

Tony

#6 ·
Quentin said:
I think I spooked them just getting to the bank. It was still fun finally getting out and waving the flyrod around.

Q
I agree. Those first days out in the early spring seem like gifts after a long winter. I assume I am going to get skunked a majority of the time until the spring spawning bonanza starts (I fish panfish heavily then as well).

It is good to just see the fish as well.

Tony

#7 ·
Where do I live?

I am in southern Oregon where I can fish for steelhaed or salmon all year long. If I get bored, I'll do a little trout fishing.

I used to live in southern Calif. though where the only choices were fly fish the salt, drive 500+ miles to the eastern sierras, or chase carp 15 minutes from home.

They are still rather sluggish this time of year, even in southern Calif. And when it first warms up and they get in the spawning mood, they don't want too much to do with your flies. But after that look out. Lots of fun on five and six wht rods.

Get the book. It will be the best $5.95 you ever spent.

#8 ·
working the bottom

I think I will do so.

I took my new kayak out last night (birthday present from whole family) to just get it in the water and also to try it as a casting platform. It was quite nice. Very stealthy.

The carp in my local pool (two blocks from my house) were working the bottom for the first time that I have noticed this spring. The sediment holds a lot of gas right now (I suppose from sitting undisturbed for the winter) so the bubble trails were very easy to see. The water is so silty right now that I could only rarely see a tail to figure out where to deliver the fly but it was great fun anyway. The water is no deeper than 2 feet through the whole pool so you can usually see them tailing if the water is not so cloudy)

I need to get my main carp fly out, I had a tiny caddis nymph on and I think it was just too small to see given the conditions. Need to push some water and puff the bottom. Get some attention.

On the plus side I found that my little carp hole is connected to a much larger pond (I thought they were on different levels and blocked by culvert waterfalls, not true). This means that the fish are probably surviving winter in the big pond and that my 3 acres of 'private' carp waters are really more like 20. I am very excited because the other pond is not easily fished from shore... but my new kayak is perfect.

World class fly fishing just blocks from my house - spooky, technical, big, fish in waters with ZERO pressure 5 miles from downtown. It just takes the right attitude.

I am curious how to land a 20 pound carp in a kayak, and how fast it will be pulling me around the pond.

Tony

#9 ·
chumming

You are right about the spawn. The majority are not interested in taking flies at that time.

That is when the chum comes out.

I may get abuse for being pro-chum but I only use it when the long term pattern shows a lack of success with naturals alone.

Bread works great in the spring because they are often on top sunning anyway.

I am usually too lazy and impatient to chum though so I only use it when absolutely needed. I usually have faster luck with sight fishing to already feeding fish.

Tony

#10 ·
Re: working the bottom

TonyCarpBoy said:
. . . I am curious how to land a 20 pound carp in a kayak, and how fast it will be pulling me around the pond.

Tony
You won't be pulling the fish to the boat -- you'll be pulling the boat to the fish! :D

Q

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.