Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bone Fishing in Costa Rica...

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Eddie 
#1 ·
Hello Gentlemen or most of you are...

I'm planning a trip next year to Costa Rica to flyfish their flats for bonefish.

I have never planned a bonefishing expedition and here are my options.

1. Two week trip
2. I want to go to Costa Rica
3. Money isn't a problem
4. One of the members of the troop speaks fluent flawless Spanish.
5. Flies (like those little crab things?)

All info is appreciated.

Angie :)

And yes I'm posting this in the Bonefish Category...

#2 ·
Angie, I was in Costa Rica for a couple of weeks last winter. I was on the Pacific coast, so I don't have any firsthand info on the east coast, but to the best of my knowledge there isn't much(if any) of a bonefish fishery in Costa Rica. The east coast does have good populations of snook, tarpon, and other gamefish, and the Pacific coast is famous for it's offshore fishing and also has inshore fishing for Roosterfish and miscellaneous Jacks.

If this is to be a trip to fish solely for bonefish, I think you might do well to look elsewhere(Belize or Mexico perhaps?). If you're going on vacation and hoping to do some fishing too, then Costa Rica could be the ticket. It's a beautiful country and the locals(Ticos) are incredibly friendly.

-Matt

#3 ·
Angie, Los Roques is a premier destination. Small bones, but plenty. Ithink that The Fly Shop in Redding, CA.(flyshop.com) probably knows most about this place. I have a buddy who flew to the capitol of CR. and then took a small plane there. He stayed in someones extra room, and hired guides on their days off. So it can be done fairly cheaply too.You have a cool website.

#4 ·
I really have nothing to offer you but thanks for,
"Torture the free range cattle by getting Orvis Boy drunk and telling him he's a cowboy"

Anytime you need a place to stay here in the east let me know - you're my sister's long lost twin!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.