Fly Fishing Forum banner

Great Sale Cay

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Dave17 
#1 ·
Running a boat from west palm and want to bonefish a bit. I know its good but not sure if wadeable. ANyone fished there? Thanks.

#3 ·
Great Sale

Looks like it is off the coast of North Abaco...

With all the bonefish there are at the East end of GBI and the Abacos I would assume the bonefishing there would be very good.

Guess I would just find a flat and work it....

Sorry have no first hand experience with that particular island....perhaps a
Bahamas or Florida Fishing website would be more helpful but the location looks great!

Best of Luck....

#4 ·
Great Sale Bones?, and How!

I still have dreams of Great Sale Cay. Great place that was fished heavily during the Walkers Cay heyday. I fished it with a guide named Prince close to a decade ago and had a great couple of days on the Island. Both Great Sale and Carters are outstanding. The Island is shaped like a Y, with the inside of the Y providing deep water and a good anchorage for cruising boats. The interior - holds fish but is deep and where it is shallow enough is best fished by Boat. If I recall correctly the side of the Cay that faces the Abaco mainlande should afford the opprortunity to wade until you drop. I jalso jumped a thirty pound tarpon in a creek on the other side of the Island as well. I know that the DWC guides and Perry out of GBI occasionally fish that area when the weather permits -although with Gas prices up - my guess is that you should be alone.

Good luck

MD Bones

#5 ·
Thank you Mdbones. I fished it in the Walkers heyday too, but couldn't remember if its a wadeable area. Last year I did a half ass day with a "guide" around Rosie's and had a great day even though not technically a good bonefish destination. Big fat dumb hungry Northern Bahamian Bones. Also caught a very big yellowfin (for east coast) on light tackle the same weekend. Hoping to repeat the trip this week and maybe fish Sale if can get in with a center console.

#6 ·
Yep I fished it.

The northeast point is very good on the incoming. There is a big flat system that extends toward Abaco. Big bones but be careful there are big sharks too. The flat system is within close proximity to deep water and we saw some big toothy critters come up to investigate the splashing. These weren't lemons, I think they were black tips and reefs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.