Fly Fishing Forum banner

waders

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ohadicd 
#1 ·
Ok, I have done the cheap combo and have now migrated to a real nice rod and reel, but the water is a bit cold...

There is always the debate over neopreme and breathable waders. Then when I go to the store, there are waders with attached boots, seperate boots, rubber, leather, and the options go on.

I live in Boise Idaho and would be fishing some mountain rivers and lakes. I would make a guess that the water temps will range from 45-55. I mainly am interested in streams for trout, but figure I would also like to be able to jump in a float tube in the future. Is there a wader I can start wading with and also use in a float tube when I can afford one?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

#3 ·
Excellent. So "breathables" don't actually leak? They just wick away my moisture? How about the boots? I see they range from $80-300. I was looking at possibly Simms Freestone, but the $80 price gives me the fright of having to upgrade in not too long. Are they good enough for a beginner, but will provide enjoyment over time?

Now back to the waders, is there a style to consider if I want to wade and use in a float tube? Or do I have to have wading waders and a seperate floating wader? Seems like if I was going to use a float tube I would want the stocking feet right? Or will it leak when I put on flippers without boots?

#4 ·
I wear my stocking-foot breathables with silk pants under 200-weight polar fleece in PA during the colder months of the year (i.e. the first few weeks after the majority of the ice is gone), and am always comfortable. I wear a couple of pairs of good wool hiking socks to keep my feet warm; they stay dry presumably as a factor of the wicking.
I was once interested in a pair of neoprenes for cold water, but I honestly don't think I need them. I may spring for a new pair of boots next year, as the Hodgman's I have aren't the most comfortable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.