Fly Fishing Forum banner

ESPN/MTV...and now CBS...

4K views 30 replies 24 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
IMHO...
Lame programming, the best of the very worst...
Charlie Moore, the "gerbil on speed", and "Caught ya", a la MTV "Punked"...is fairly convincing evidence of an uninspired campaign of misdirected sensory assault.
I feel offended and insulted every time I'm exposed to this junque TV and (after I switch channels) I let "them" know of my dissatisfaction by fireing off a salvo across their marketing bow...$$$ & public opinion, the bottom line!?
If you don't like what they are dishing out...e-mail the networks and fill their screens with your dissatisfaction.
The SuperBowl half time "extravaganza" was yet another example of inappropriate trash perpetrated by MTV on our senses (and your children).
Give the marketing anal-retentive-ists something to report!
I can't wait for an MTV Fly Fishing Masters series!
:rolleyes:

Or...am I all wrong and over reacting?! :confused:

#6 ·
I did not watch the half time show and I can't remember the last time I did..I was channel surfing. But the boob thing was intentional from what I can tell from the reruns on the news stations ( Blotted out) and the kid rock flag wearing was rediculious. :mad:

#7 ·
Ditto

I was hoping for something closer to U2's performance 2 years ago when they displayed the 911 victims' names on a giant scroll behind the stage. Truly an inspiring performance by Bono and company...in the wake of our national tragedy.

Now you get the impression that the people who buy the ads during the regular season (Coors=Kid Rock) get to pick the halftime performers.

Surprise, surprise...:mad:

#8 ·
Charlie Moore is obnoxious to say the least. It's guys like that give PETA ammunition. Also, who watches him?
As far as the half time show. Everyone is talking about this more than the great game that took place. When people remember this Super Bowl it won't be the Pats victory but half time theatrics what a shame.:mad:
FishHawk

#11 ·
Beat Charlie Moore

I was hoping someone would mention Charlie Moore. I thought it was just me that finds that show horrific.

Last week I was watching his show.. and noticed him running around like a lunatic with a small 12 inch bass jumping around and yapping for what seemed like 5 minutes with the fish still out of the water. After his rant he flipped the fish under his leg at a good distance from the pond so it cartwheeled through the air and finally landed back in the water. Not really showing good responsible sportsmanship here. On top of that they pan the camera over to a sign that reads NO FISHING, then you here him and this other guy talking about getting out of there before the owner comes back.

Now I am certainly not a saint and as a youth fished in places that I wasnt supposed to all in hopes of catching a monster. Lets face it though that this isn't the type of behavior we want to teach young kids. Showing them its ok to mishandle a living creature, tresspass and to break the law.

Just my 2 cents

#12 ·
I'm with you Penguin. I did fire off an email complaint to CBS. I have a sick feeling that nothing can change the course of the moral slide in this country.
I'm no angel but there's a time and a place for crap and the super bowl was no it.

Lefty

#13 ·
"Beat Charlie Moore"......

With a stick!!!:rolleyes: Knuckle Heads like him?????? We Don't need. He does nothing for me or us. Nuff said.

As far as half time.....
My brother in law won a contest from a local radio station. Big screen tv, food, the whole 9 yards. Several of the radio personalities attended. A good time was had by all. My two girls, ages 7.5 & 5 also attended. The half time "show" came and went. Instead of explaining back field in motion to my wife, I found myself trying to explain the actions of three thimble brains to my kids. Wealthy thimble brains. But thimble brains all the same. Let's not forget about that dope doing a jig at mid-field.

If you can't tell, I'm a little PO'ed over this. As a father of two young girls, you try to guide them in the right direction. You teach them to be good people and to do the right thing. You can't be with them every minute of every day. But you would think that in the safety of your home, you could control what they're exposed to. Think again Jimmy!

So my thanks go out to Janet JackAss, Justin TimberBrain, and Kid Rocksinhishead. You've shown my children exactly what not to be when they grow up. And let's not forget Charlie No-Moore.

The Soap Box has been returned to its original up right position.

#14 ·
Hey Lefty Eh!

"I'm no angel" - I don't know about thisn one, so I'll pass on it...

"but there's a time and a place for crap" - NO THERE IS NOT! This may be a root cause, our tolerance for crap when we should never compromise!

"and the super bowl was no it" - see above, there is no place for crap, period!

Keep on fishing and hold out for your values!

#15 ·
Was not going to jump into this but ah well...

As a father of a 6 month old I would have to say I am not all that worried about this. My view is if you raise them right you should not be a big issue. When stuff like this happens they should be able to look at the situation and know if it was right or wrong. Trying to shield your kid from everything does not help them in any way.

Lessons should have been learned from this incident thus empowering your children to deal with situations like this in the future. If you do not do this you leave them totally unprepared for adulthood. You cannot depend on others changing their actions to fit into your moral view of the world. It ain't happening...

Having been raised in a super strict religious family I cannot tell you how difficult of a time it was for me going to college. I did not have the capacity to deal with anything going on in the real world. I for one will make sure my kid is not going to have that problem. Goes back to the point of empowering your kids, not sheltering them.

Have you seen TV in other countries? Our TV is tame in comparison.

Also the Janet and Justin thing was over the top but I cannot quite pinpoint the anger towards Kid Rock. I do not listen to him but really did not see a problem with his performance. I mean he is a rock star...he did nothing different than the pelvis pumping Elvis was doing in his time.

Just 2 cents from a guy who remembers the game and not the half time show,

-sean

#16 ·
Sean-
The anger directed at KidRock is due to the fact that he cut a hole in the American flag, wore it like a tunic during his 'act', and then threw it off at the end. Some of us have a MAJOR problem with that. Personally, I wish more of stink was raised about the flag desecration than the Janet incident, but that's just me.
Tim

#17 ·
I, for one, would like to see halftime at the SuperBowl made into the "normal" ones we see during the regular season, with the exception of a few good commercials (sorry to be crude, but the funniest one IMO was with the horse (Bud Light) and the girl that experiences the "blue flame" first-hand). Who really cares about half-time performances? For God sakes, we're watching football, I don't care about morons singing on stage at halftime. I remember remarking to Denise (just a few moments before we caught a glimpse of Janet's exposed breast) that halftime has turned into a full-blown concert. I wonder how long it will be until people start buying SuperBowl tickects in advance just because they want to watch the performers at halftime?
Message to the NFL: There's a reason we tune in to the SuperBowl: we're fans of professional football, we spend time practically every weekend of the regular season in front of the tube watching our teams battle it out with the opposition. Naturally we want to see who's going to come out as the best team at the end of the season. So keep the SuperBowl to football, and let us all enjoy the game without all of this extra crap.

#19 ·
If you watch a show that insults your intelligence, why are you surprised when your intelligence is insulted. By leaving your tv on during that crap, you encourage 'them' to keep broadcasting it.

I understand that they are going to keep producing crap as long as enough of us continue to watch it.

#20 ·
C’mon guys!

During the Super Bowl, I saw a dog bite a man in the crotch, a flatulent horse nearly decapitate a woman, a man get a bikini wax, half-naked cheerleaders, half-naked volleyball players, and innumerable commercials for erectile dysfunction, and more half-naked cheerleaders… So Janet Jackson bares about 16% more breast than the average NFL cheerleader and Kid Rock wears a flag poncho, and THAT’S what gets everyone in an uproar? THAT'S what's besmirched the Super Bowl?

Full disclosure: I love football, LOVE the Pats, and like (ok, LOVE) beer. I’m all for beautiful women. However, as the parent of three young boys I also realize that the NFL sells violence, beer, and sex – in roughly that order - regardless of whether Janet Jackson keeps her top on.

Want to protest? Forget emails to CBS. Sell your Viacom stock (they own CBS & MTV), sell your Time Warner stock (they own Atlantic Records - Kid Rock's label). Boycott Virgin Records (Janet Jackson's label). Stop buying Budweiser...

It's all about the $$$ and Viacom et al will continue to make it, while we're busy clucking about a fleeting glimpse of a female breast. I somehow doubt senior management at any of those companies is losing much sleep right now.

I’ll turn the soapbox over now. How many days till ice out?

#21 ·
I was just wondering...

How can someone as insignificant as Kid Rock "desecrate" or meaningfully dishonor a flag that covers the bodies of American heroes and heroines every day as they are carried to their rest? Aren't their sacrifices enough to ennoble our flag such that no amount of gesturing or theatrics can ever debase it?

In his Gettysburg Address, President Abraham Lincoln spoke words that seem to apply in this case as well:

“…in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow, this ground -- The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have hallowed it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here; while it can never forget what they did here…”

(Taken from the Nicolay Draft of the Gettysburg Address presently in the possession of the Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.)

Perhaps the flag has been hallowed “far above our poor power to add or detract” by the sacrifices made by our servicemen and women, our police and firefighters. Given the respectful silence as flag-draped remains were removed from the wreckage of the World Trade Center, or the moving ceremony of a flag so recently covering the casket of a dead service member as the honor guard folds it, I must believe it so. Surely such service has elevated the flag far above the ability of a mere rock and roll sensation to diminish.

The world will little note, nor long remember what Kid Rock wore at Sunday’s Super Bowl. It will long remember the heroism of those brave Americans who were draped with our flag on their final journey.

Just a thought…

Best regards,

-Doc

#23 ·
Bravo Doc !!!
Before you start talking about boycotting sponsors let me just remind you of this;
Coors Brewery, who are the sponsors of Kid Rock , has sided with the anti`s and now donate a percentage of thier profits to PETA. Budwieser on the other hand has been a long time and commited supporter of the sportsman. Donating a significant amount to groups that support our point of view. I will never drink another Coors!
I to was embarassed by the half time show, this seems to mark a turning point in the slide into moral decay that we have been on. An outraged citizenery is demanding action and Congress is listening. But a horse farting, that wasn`t vulgar, it was hilarious.
Slinger

#24 ·
Isn't interesting that a dysfunctional member of the Infamous Jackson family should be involved in a sexual incident. I think that she achieved her goal ,which was to take away attention from her perverted brother. I don't know about you but this incident has been blow way out of proportion. Too bad it has over shadowed the Pat's victory
FishHawk:mad:

#25 ·
Iwill keep this short because to give this anymore credence is to just play into the hands of the MONEY MONGERS! I too was somewhat insensed by the antics displayed and I too agree Pete and everyone else that we have slipped to a new low in this country. I don't care what they do in another country, I don't live in another country, I live here the USA supposed greatest country on earth. I am starting to have my doubts??? In simplest terms this was all nothing more than a money driven publicity charade perpetrated by those who think they are not rich enough yet. I am absolutely fed up with the wealthy power brokers in our country and the constant raping they engage in of OUR money and savings. Janet can drop dead tomorrow, as well as Kid Rock and Michael and P Diddy and the rest of them, it will have ZERO effect on my existence other than to give me one less thing to get pissed off about. It is very sobering to know that our once great country has sunk to a level of greediness and money hungry needs as to have never been witnessed in history. Absolutely sickening.

DONE!

Mike M.

Sorry I forgot........AWESOME GAME! Way to go PATRIOTS finally we NE folks have something to crow about, can you say dynasty?

#26 ·
Guys,

The half-time "extravaganda", the large number of commercials (many of which are of questionable taste), and the drivel masquerading as game commentary are the reasons that I quit watching the Super Bowl some 6 years ago. Therefore, I did not have to try to explain to my 12 and 16 year old sons why Janet's boob flash was not OK as part of football games half-time show or as part of a TV broadcast that is watched by millions.

Let Janet bare her boob or all of her body if she so wishes on pay-per-view.

Sean,

Yes, we cannot shield our kids from everything. However, just because some countries in Europe and Asia have naked folks (even full-penetration sex) on regular broadcast TV doesn't make it OK. I personally find a lot of stuff that CBS puts on the tube to be in very poor taste at best, and morally reprehensible at worst.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.