Fly Fishing Forum banner

Coquille River?

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Skilly 
#1 ·
My sister just moved and is living on the North Fork of the Coquille River (Near Coos Bay, Oregon). Has anyone fished this for stealies? What is the best time of year to fish this? Not a novice, just never fished coastal streams in Oregon before. Thanks!

#2 ·
Hi Sally,

I used to live in the PNW and spent many wonderful days on the Oregon coast with family. I've heard that the Coquille and it's forks has a strong wild population and is primarily a winter steelhead fishery. It looked to be a size that would be quite manageable for even a 13ft spey rod and I suspect when the fish are moving in from November thru late winter/early spring (if regs allow) the fishing for winter arrivals could get pretty hot. Unless I am mistaken I would guess that your sister is a lucky gal if she enjoys winter steelhead.

#3 ·
Coquille River

The Coquille is a great winter stream, the north fork is the primary fishery, and should start fishing in November.

The only drawback is bank access.

Most fish it from a drift boat. A pontoon boat would be great.I dont know about now but some of the land owners would not even let you out of the boat on their property.

Skilly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.