Fly Fishing Forum banner

Navigational Products

4K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  SeaKayaker 
#1 ·
I have been known to head out in the dark but only when I know where I'm going & not crossing large bodies of water.

I carry a compass at all times (try being on the flats, in the fog with a flooding tide without one) but do not have one mounted on my deck.

I am also looking for a water proof ( or are they just "water resistant"?) GPS that is easy enough for a child to use.

What works for the forum yakkers? Any links?

Thanks,

Roop

#4 ·
I've been looking as well Roop, as I'm scared taking my palm with the gps in the yak. The garmin that Striblue has is what I want, but may be a little expensive for me. They make one that is a step down for about 165(at amazon.com, so that means we can find internet coupons). Less memory, but still enough for what I need. I'll probably still always want the better one, so I might end up splurging on it. I'll keep this forum updated to any deals that I find with the gps. The etrex series is waterproof to 15 feet for 30 mins I think, it says on the webpage. They have a good comparison feature as well. http://www.garmin.com

#5 ·
I have the legend as well and I like the mapping capabilities. I have not invested in the software that give the detailed road maps and coastal nav aids so currently the mapping does not do me much good in the yak. Waypoints are what I rely on for accurate navigation and I've also found that topozone.com does not always report accurate coordinates, (out of date maps I guess)
I would recommend whatever unit you get should have the capability to upload and download these to a computer for backup purposes.
Can anyone comment on their experiences with the various software for the legend etrex?

Read the instructions - When copying coordinates from someone else make sure your entering them in the same format(there are many). Mike Estey was kind enough to give me the waypoints to a couple of rips at the Boneclave. I was using UTM format and his coordinates were in DD:HH:MM:SS. I entered to the numbers and was showing someone the mapping capabilities. Strange thing was the waypoint was on land. I'm thinking to myself, oh it's just that sometimes the coastline is inaccurate so I zoom out, still nothing but land. I keep zooming out and apparently the waypoint I entered is in Poland. :O The point is the mapping helped me realize my ignorance and I finally broke down and read the instructions.

#8 ·
GPS sounds like the way to go but I'd also recommend a basic navigation course - loads of books and self study materials out there.

Knowledge of local tide currents should be researched before venturing out and if the GPS somehow finds its way over the side of the Yak, which would almost certainly coincide with the densest fog and biggest tides of the year, well, maybe you could still find your way home with the help of a compass ;)

#9 ·
...security lanyard...

...If it's worth keeping, it's worth tying to a lanyard. I stash the good stuff in a dry bag that's tethered to the boat. The paddle is on a leash. When I finally get a GPS, it will be readily available and on a safety line (along with a cell phone in plastic).
And, Adrian, your bang on with a preventative dose of basic nav and a good compass!

#11 ·
...If it's worth keeping, it's worth tying to a lanyard. I stash the good stuff in a dry bag that's tethered to the boat.

You are right on the money Penguin

I talked to a friend of mine who just went to a trade show.He says Plano just came out with a bunch of waterproof boxes for under 30 bucks.
joev

#12 ·
Jim,
Thanks, for the link. They look pretty sturdy, but I already opted for a new gadget. After seeing Striblue's GPS this summer, it was a "must have". I picked one up on ebay for 200. I love it already, even if it has only navigated me to work and back. Whoppee! I highly recommed it. Awesome off the shelf features with no extra software.

As far as waterproof containers, I'm looking for an 0-ring that will fit those plastic boxes that I have tons of lying around my office and home. If I can find it, they will become even more useful in my kayak.

I'll give the GPS a real workout when I get to Eleuthera in a week!

Nick

#13 ·
Nick.. the Garmin etrex which I think you must have bought is also water proof to a dregree. I am not sure.. but I think it can handle submersion for an hour. It still does not do away with the waterproof case but it helps. Don't forget to update your software on the Garmin website..It's a free download and I have done it three times now since the summer to take advantage of the updating. When I bought mine... brand new... I still needed to update the software.

#14 ·
Striblue,
I already updated it thanks to your heads up on the other board. Got some neat new features from the update which was nice. I want to get either the fishing spots or the detailed road maps software, I just can't seem to justify the purchase right now. Maybe if Jim, you, and I got together, we could get a discount somehow ;) I do have a cd burner...

Nick

#16 ·
Striblue,
That would be great. I was looking at the US waterways lights and bouys on as well. The fishing doesn't look so hot, you are correct. Maybe I can borrow it at the next get together.

Thanks!

#17 ·
Nick said:
Jim,
Thanks, for the link. They look pretty sturdy, but I already opted for a new gadget. After seeing Striblue's GPS this summer, it was a "must have". I picked one up on ebay for 200. I love it already, even if it has only navigated me to work and back. Whoppee! I highly recommed it. Awesome off the shelf features with no extra software.

As far as waterproof containers, I'm looking for an 0-ring that will fit those plastic boxes that I have tons of lying around my office and home. If I can find it, they will become even more useful in my kayak.

I'll give the GPS a real workout when I get to Eleuthera in a week!

Nick
What size of O rings are you looking for , Do you need Round or square section also this material is aviable in bulk form and you can produce your own. Have a warehiuse full of this product. saltRon

#18 ·
I am not sure of exact dimensions, but its about 7" by 11" square. I would saw one about 50 to 100 thousands of an inch diameter would be good. I'll measure one exactly if you think this is doable. I can send some boxes your way as well.

Nick

#19 ·
:) I am a little slow in getting back on track. First I have a Garmin 12XL, which I have had for about 4 years, works great, but I probably should send it away for an upgrade. It still gets me where I want to go, and never has failed me. The only problem I have is finding the Garmin website, I tried garmin.com get not available. Insearching I came up with the gpsworldsupply.com which has the garmin etrex for $115. This unit, according to the literature is waterproof, and is a 12 satellite receiver, and is a very small unit. If I was going to buy I would look at it. I don't believe you can beat garmin. I have had three other manufacturers which I quickly got rid of for one reason, didn't work under a heavy canopy. With a GPS one can return to just about any place time after time. If you have one you might try geocaching in your state, might be a family thing to do when you are not fishing. The site is geocaching.com, there is even a cach on Napatree. A GPS is a good idea for the Outdoors person.:)

#20 ·
Art.. I am pretty sure that's the web addess.. but I tried it this morning and got a no response . I will try it later or check my mterials to make sure that is the site. I also seem to remember that they had upgrades for all units that allowed for computer connections.

#21 ·
Juro,
Here's that page I was talking about for the Etrex.
JA Air Center Etrex's

Art, that's definitely the page. It may have been down when you went to it. The Etrex you saw is the base model. I feel for the money, having the mapping features are worth it. The Legend has extensive mapping capabilities out of the box an is $205 at the above store.

Nick

#22 ·
:( The garmin site is still down, maybe they shut it down. I have done a search, and all I get is sites that are trying to sell GPS's. I don't have the interface to down load an upgrade for my 12XL, so I thought that right after the first of the year would be a good time to send it back to be upgraded. It has been a great piece of equipment for all my outdoor activities:) . I also have about 120 waypoints listed. One can't go wrong with Garmin.

#23 ·
Art.. I think the Garmin site is up today.. I just got into it to check to see if there were anymore upgrades to the etrex legend I have. Also, rather than sending your unit in you may be able to buy an interface connection cable. I noticed that your unit does have several downloads and It may be cable compatable.

#26 ·
GPS III+

Hello,

I use a Garmin GPS III+, waterproof to .5 meters, yet I put in a dry bag (just to be safe, and so that it will float if it falls overboard) clipped to my gear lines on my deck. I paddle an eighteen-foot, seven-inch long sea kayak that I made last summer and this allows me to navigate easily. I have never used it at night, but I have paddled across the Potomac (it was about four miles because I did not go straight across) and I was able to just paddle and look at the GPS, and it took me right where I wanted to go. I can either retrace my steps or go straight home, and I find that helpful. Also, there are programs you can download like GPSTrackMaker (a free download) with which you can download tracks and waypoints onto your computer and modify or save them.

In short, the GPS is expensive, but has been worth it for me.

SeaKayaker

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.