Fly Fishing Forum banner

Chum Fishery Threatens The Thompson

14K views 70 replies 27 participants last post by  Whistler 
#1 ·
It is absolutely unbelievable! In the face of the 2nd worst Thompson Steelhead runs on record DFO has okayed a commercial chum salmon opening for Wednesday Oct. 20th! This is squarely in the heart of the time that all the best science indicates is the prime window of migration through the lower Fraser.

The Provincial Fisheries MWLAP have repeatedly stood agianst such openings - their concern is steelhead, the Federal Fisheries - DFO has jurisdiction over salmon - and they don't care about the steelhead.

This is outrageous, sportfishermen are shut down as even a catch and release fishery is deemed too dangerous to the health of the run and DFO schedules an opening. We are trying to rally the troops to register our outrage, but with less than two days notice until the opening there is not much time. This has not even been announced yet - this info is a hot leak... It is clear they didn't want us to have time to organize. The newspapers have been contacted and messages are out on bulletin boards - we need some emrgency troops!

Right now we must flood DFO's phone lines with protests ...the Director General's office is 604 666-6098...(Paul McGillvary)...or any and every other Lower Fraser manager...Devona Adams has often been very helpful....but now seems to think its no big deal... 604 666-6512.

Paul McGillerary's e-mail is macgillivrayp@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Devona Adams e-mail is adamsd@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

If you have fished the Thompson - or ever hope to fish it in the future take some time and make the effort.

See less See more
#52 ·
Another email sent,

Dana, I was wondering if either you or Tyler had thought about sending all of this information to the State Government level here in the US.(Washington, Oregon, and Idaho) I would assume that a number of people from these states have made trips to the provence for steelhead reasons in the past. Also, If we are not careful, this will not be the only system with this level of urgency. Do the organizations in the US and Canada collaborate? They have mutually interests in the anadromous fish runs, so it might rally some troops to the cause.

#53 ·
Dana said:
especially those of you from far away (thanks Peter and Juro for taking the point on this!)--call and demand that all commercial salmon fishing in the Fraser River and other Thompson steelhead approach areas be immediately and indefinitely suspended.
Steelhead are the King of Kings...Im from New York Salmon River Region..No way should this happen...Good Luck...Keep up the good fight.....

SteelieChaser

#54 ·
does the province have the legal right to stop this fishery. Phoned the wlap this afternoon and they gave me the' we are working with DFOto stop this. ' In my opinion they shoulf be publicly slamming DFO over this decision since it is the provinces role to protect steelhead and not DFO. Keep up the fight

#55 ·
Anadromous,

Indeed the organizations on bith sides of the border do co-ordinate. This past Saturday I attended that WSC Banquet and addressed the members re the chum fishery. We have recieved tremendous support from the WSC and large numbers of Stateside anglers. We will also be attending the Wild Steelhead Summit - sponsored by the WSC on November 6.

You are right all steelheaders need to rally together as the problems we face are pretty much the same no matter which side of the border we find ourselves! If this can happen to the Thompson - then no river is safe...

South Island,

The Province does not have the power to stop the fishery. MWALP has bluntly told DFO that this fishery should not occur - it fell on deaf and arrogant ears. The influence that the Province can have is at the political level. Premier Campbell must hear about it and specifically the economic ramifications of the loss of these fish to BC's Economy. Then his complaints to the Feds would folow and have weight

Steeliechaser - send an e-mail and complain - the fish will thank you.

#56 ·
Here is my latest, this one to BC's Premier e-mail premier@gov.bc.ca

Similar ones will go directly to Geoff Regan and Paul Martin. Feel free to use any or all of it in your letters.

October 15, 2004
Honourable Gordon Campbell,

Mr. Premier,

It is with great concern that I write you. Last week Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) opened a commercial chum salmon fishery on the lower Fraser River and has planned several others over the next few weeks. This is one more example of the total lack of concern that our Federal government shows British Columbia.

MWLAP has repeatedly demonstrated its extreme concern for the survival of Thompson River Steelhead. Though it is a world renowned fishery the Ministry has taken the extreme measure of closing it to sport fishing due to a projected run of fewer than 800 fish - the second worst run in 26 years! This mid October time frame is the peak migration period of the steelhead through the lower Fraser River. DFO's own test fishery at Albion has shown that just as the October 20th opening was scheduled the first major push of steelhead was transiting the lower river - yet the DFO sanctioned slaughter commenced as planned.

The sport fishing closure has created an extreme economic hardship on the town of Spence's Bridge in particular, but also on Lytton and Cache Creek. As well, the effects are felt in Vancouver, as many of the anglers who fish the river annually come from around the world and pass through the hotels, tackle shops and various carriers of the Lower Mainland.

The economic value of the Thompson steelhead fishery is no small sum, it will in fact dwarf the economic return from a commercial fishery that is little more than an opening designed to give commercial fishers Employment Insurance hours! The chum salmon are worth next to nothing on the market with only the roe having value as the fish themselves are used as fertilizer.

To seriously endanger a valuable fish like the Thompson steelhead, for which the Province has declared an "extreme conservation concern" as a by-catch in a fishery where the target species is destined for fishmeal - is unconscionable! DFO when questioned says that the Province "agrees" to the 15% Exploitation Rate of Thompson steelhead. This was done six months ago when a normal run was expected and the sport fishery would be open as usual. 15% of several thousand fish is not a biological concern - but 15% of a few hundred is! Such a decision is indefensible. The arrogance and callousness of this DFO decision is outrageous.

The Steelhead Society and concerned steelhead anglers from around the world call on you Mr. Premier to exercise your full influence to register your concern and our outrage at the DFO's mismanagement of one of British Columbia's invaluable natural resources - the Thompson River Steelhead. We ask you to protest as strongly and as quickly as possible to the political masters of the DFO decision makers in Ottawa. They must cease and desist from any and all fisheries that threaten the return of Thompson River Steelhead. When it was DFO's Thompson coho that were threatened a few years ago the Federal Government moved heaven and earth to protect them - all we ask for is the same treatment for the Province's steelhead.

Yours sincerely,

Tyler Kushnir
Director, Steelhead Society of British Columbia
Vice President, Kingfishers Rod & Gun Club

cc Geoff Regan Minister Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Paul MacGillivray Director General DFO Pacific Region
Devona Adams DFO Pacific Region

#58 ·
I did recieve a responce:

Dear Mr. Sanchez:

Thank you for the copy of your e-mail addressed to Minister Regan, expressing your concerns about the opening of the Chum fishery on the Fraser River and its impact on the Thompson River Steelhead.

This is an issue that the Conservative Caucus is actively working. on. I am attaching a recent press release on the matter as well as an earlier release that was issued in regard to the Fraser River salmon fishery. You can be certain that the Fraser River salmon fishery will be a top priority for the Standing Committee on Fisheries and Oceans this autumn.

I understand and appreciate the points you have raised and will continue to follow developments closely.

Sincerely,

John Reynolds, MP
West Vancouver-Sunshine Coast-Sea to Sky Country

#61 ·
I haven't heard anything back. I did however get a follow up call from Queen Charlotte Fishing lodge asking me to book my trip again this year. I flat out told them that at this time they could not count on my parties (6- 8 every year) $$ because of this action. I also mentioned that they should make a call and let DFO know it is hurting their business.

#62 ·
Sadly we were right...

While DFO has yet to officially respond to our question as to how many steelhead were caught in Wednesday's opening the SSBC Executive has found out that DFO estimates that 55 steelhead were intercepted. There were 126 boats fishing and 15 observers (11 on boats and 4 roving). They saw 10 steelhead, 9 of which were said to have been released in good shape and one released in "not so good shape". How they estimated 55 we have no idea - it could have been easily double that!

The test fishery at Albion has caught 15 fish to date - 13 of them since the 18th of October (2 days before the opening). Since the opening there were 4 taken one day and 3 the next - after a number of years of closely watching these counts I don't recall many 3 fish days at Albion - let alone a 4 fish day. Without question the main body of the run is/was in the river as DFO had their fishery.

There is word that DFO is planning another opening next week...

#68 ·
latest email sent to Paul Macgillivray at DFO

sent this morning:

Paul,

Latest Test Fishery Data at Albion suggests that a significant number of Thompson and interior steelhead are now transiting the Fraser River, indicating that the run this year might be late and that we are now possibly at its peak. It would appear that the chum opening last week occurred just as these fish began to move into the Fraser and that many steelhead were caught in the gillnets. Can we count on your department to suspend the commercial chum fisheries so that the remainder of these fish might have safe passage?

Dana Sturn
Director
The Steelhead Society of British Columbia

#69 ·
The releasing of hay bales

A little off topic but having some knowledge of gill netting and hay bales I thought some added information might be helpful. If you indeed plan a hay bale release program before releasing the bales wrap them with barbed wire until they are almost at neutral buoyancy. The bales will then float down river just below the surface. When they encounter a gill net they have a tendency to tumble. This gathers the web in the barb wire before they are completely “gilled” forcing large holes to be cut in the gill net to extricate them.

#71 ·
Here is a surprise another commercial Chum opening. Time to make some noise again. A river open to fishing does not make this issue go away.

Area 29

Gillnets open 9 hours on Thursday November 4 starting at 07:30 h to 16:30 h in
that portion of Subarea 29-9 eastward of a line from Navigational Light No.3 on
Steveston Jetty to the S4 Navigational buoy, thence to the second downstream
piling westward of Canoe Passage, thence to the boundary sign at Brunswick
Point, and Subareas 29-11 to 29-17. Minimum mesh size is 158 mm (approximately
6.25 inches). Maximum depth 60 contiguous meshes. Maximum hang ratio 3:1.
Maximum corkline to web distance is 45 cm.

Important note: In order to reduce potential impacts on steelhead and coho, a
maximum net length of 100 fathoms and a maximum soak time of 30 minutes is in
place for this opening. This means that a maximum aggregate net length of 100
fathoms (approximately 187.5 metres) is on the drum of the vessel. Compliance
of these conditions will be monitored during the opening.

Fishers are reminded that mandatory non-retention and non-possession of all
coho, steelhead, sockeye and sturgeon is in effect and are requested to release
all live coho, steelhead, sockeye and sturgeon back to the water unharmed.

Fishermen are reminded that buyers and markets for their catch should be
confirmed prior to fishing.

To ensure coho and steelhead management objectives are achieved, no Area E
Gillnet fishing opportunities in the Fraser River are anticipated following
this week's opening. Recorded updates for Area E fleet are available at (604)
666-2828.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.