Fly Fishing Forum banner

the sixteen-twenty loop

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Broadbill 
#1 ·
Just bought the march/april issue of american angler, which has an article by E. Richard Nightingale about a knot he developed called the sixteen-twenty. He claims that it is "as strong as or marginally stronger than the Bimini twist" .. "Properly tightened, the sixteen-twenty loop is virtually a 100 percent knot."

Haven't tested it myself yet, but from the diagram it looks like a _very_ simple knot to tie; similar to the duncan loop but actually looks easier.

Speaking of simple & strong, i just talked to a flyshop guy / guide who says he always uses a perfection loop to tie flies to tippet. I recall there was a loop knot thread, now wondering if that was just about duncan loops..

bill

#2 ·
Over the last few seasons I have resorted to using a Palomar 100% of the time with no failures.

Not that I think it really matters with stripers but I think I need to try using loops as well - move out of my comfort zone.

Duncan, perfection, any others? I'll have to pull out my Lefty knot book.

#4 ·
Billl -

Any link or URL for American Angler? That's a journal I don't subscribe to. It'd be nice to see a schematic or drawing.

I'm big on the Perfection Loop for tippet connections: It creates a strong, straight connection to the standing line; the loop size is easy to adjust--from small to fairly large; it's easy to tie, and it has been utterly reliable.

#5 ·
Broadbill- Try this link:

http://www.flyfishingmagazines.com/aa_feature_0202.shtml

If you scroll down towards the bottom, there's a diagram of the knot and how to tie it. Unfortunately, it can't be blown up and my eyes aren't what they used to be, but I think that I can get the gist of it.

Flyfishingmagazines.com has lots of bonus material like this for American Angler, Fly Tyer, and Saltwater Flyfishing magazines. Hope it helps.

#6 ·
Mark -

Much obliged for the fast URL. Sheer laziness on my part; I should have just punched the "I'm feeling lucky" button on a Google search for American Angler .

My eyes aren't young any more, but like you, I think I get the gist. Next trip to Barnes and Noble, I'll have to swing by the magazine rack and either buy a copy or cheat and try to memorize the schematic. Thanks again. I have a bias for simple knots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.