Fly Fishing Forum banner

Niagara River

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  peter-s-c 
#1 ·
Interested in fishing the Niagara with my spey rod. Would like some help with locations. I have fished from Art Park before, and done the Art Park drift by boat, but that is the extent of my knowledge. Thanks for any help. Mark

#2 ·
Three words to describe spey fishing the Niagara

Tough, tough, tough.

I've used a spey rod there, on and off, for over five years and it doesn't get easier. The Artpark drift has precious little backcast room and you can't wade out to get clearance. I worked it with a 15'6" 11 wt. and managed decent casts but didn't contact any fish. The depth of the water and the conflicting currents really confound spey casting and the steep shore screws up an overhead cast unless your head is very short.

The Whirlpool is more forgiving on the Canadian side and I've caught fish there on spey rods (the ultimate test). I'd overhead or underhand cast using short heads (don't try long line methods). Indie fishing with a spey rod also works quite well if that floats your boat.

Cheers

#4 ·
Devil's Hole is also more fishable with a spey rod, tho you often
have to listen to and watch a good number of boats. The section
of the river closer to (but downstream from) the Queenston
Bridge also has spots where the vagaries of the currents aren't
quite as insane, and where the fish often hang out in the
shallower water over a narrow ledge along the shore. One nice
thing about that particular stretch is that the boats stay away
from it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.