Fly Fishing Forum banner

Baja Trip in March

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  MarkS 
#1 ·
Good afternoon,
Planning a trip to Baja in March, and you guy's know Da Hawk don't throw much furnfeathers into the salt. So.... what would be a good well-rounded salt box 'O flys that I should bring, I mean if a guy were to just drop down at the local Puerto for some bone action.
I will be about half way down, within 1 hour or so from La Paz.
Water craft, YES!
Thanks in advance.
DH

#2 ·
I think the main thing that you fish for is Sierra, which I understand is a type of mackeral. I believe that clousers work.

You might go to the Bja on the Fly site. They have quite a bit on what will be there and what flies might work. You can also ask the owner Gary Graham for his advice.

#4 ·
BAJA flies

Have fished that area, though later in the year, and going out from the now defunct Las Arenas resort. Have also fished Feb and March further down at Cabo and the East Cape Area.

Sport fish that you should expect to encounter would include Sierra Mackeral (probably your most common fish) as well as Jacks. Ladyfish might be around in good numbers too. In rocky areas, you may encounter Pargo...like snappers. Likely too cold for Mahis or Tunas, but possible.

For bait / flies, the most prevalent fish in that area is referred to as the Sardina..a deep bodied fish typically in the 3-5 inch range. I have used an adaptation of a Sea Habit with LOTS of flash material, mostly white. On sunny days, had the best success with light tan backs or olive backs.

Cloudy days, we have done best with dark blue or gray backs...same patterns.

For the sierras, selectivity has not seemed an issue.....a simple clouser with plenty of flash worked great....wire bite and lots of flies for these toothy boys.

I'd also suggest a few topwater flies, just cause that's so much fun.

have a great trip.

mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.