Fly Fishing Forum banner

American Rivers call to arms

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Moonlight 
#1 ·
Received today:

River Advocates:

Tell EPA to reduce stream damage from mountaintop mining! Take action today at: http://amriversaction.ctsg.com/ctt.asp?u=4962&l=7950

Mountaintop mining is a form of strip mining where coal companies literally blast hundreds of feet off the tops of mountain peaks to reach thin seams of coal, and then push millions of tons of the resulting rubble into surrounding valleys and streams. This practice has destroyed more than 700 miles of streams in the Appalachian region since 1985.

On May 29, 2003, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) released a long overdue Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) that was supposed to find ways to dramatically reduce the environmental harm from mountaintop mining. While acknowledging the significant harm caused by this practice, EPA did not examine a single alternative that will reduce the damage. Instead, they did just the opposite - looking only at so-called "permit streamlining" provisions that will weaken existing environmental protections.

The Appalachian river activists who have worked so hard and long to stop mountaintop removal mining need your help. Please tell EPA not to weaken environmental protections for the devastating practice of mountaintop mining!

Comment on the Draft Environmental Impact Statement before the clock runs out on January 6th! Take action today at: http://amriversaction.ctsg.com/ctt.asp?u=4962&l=7950

Sincerely,
American Rivers

See less See more
#7 ·
Too simple...

That took all of two minutes, I hope it helps. What a horrible sounding extraction process. Hope we get the Fuel Cell infrastructure up and running in the next administration but I do not here it being spoken of on the camp-pain trail. Energy thats what most of these problems come from in the enviroment. And I would be so bold as to state that if it were not for our reliance on Mid East Oil we wouldn't have had the pleasure of learning about many of the O'samma bin Mo brothers of the world.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.