Fly Fishing Forum banner

Isabel photos

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 ·
Cool pic but I wouldn't want to be there.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
...YIKES...

Holy batten down the hatches BatMan!!!...
'Looks more like some archived shots of the Bikini Islands Nuc tests...

I went for a recon ride to check on some CC Nat'l Seashore's eastern beaches and saw alot of nasty chop and formidable surf with gusty winds out'a the east...da' Cape got nothin' to speak of considering Capt Gordon may have to get his ride out of a tree?!

'Dodged another bullet!

:whoa:

#6 ·
Nick,
Good point, I just got them in an email chain this morning so who knows what the source was. I would assume they set a course to the rear of the storm. Don't know how the storm surge thing works but I would think it pushes in all directions, no?

#7 ·
From what I've read is that the surge in a Hurricane comes around from the northern side of the storm where the wind is cranking onshore in a Eastern seaboard collision. The surge itself is a combination of the extremely low pressure of the eye (thus increase in surface height of water) and the winds...This is all not guaranteed to be correct of course.

As far as that picture, I'm just a natural skeptic of internet photos...I'm a crackpot photoshop user, and its amazing what even I can whip togehter. Those tools in the hands of a professional are amazing.

All in all, I would not want to be on any boat heading towards a wall of clouds like that one :eyecrazy: :eyecrazy:

#10 ·
Dramatic indeed ....

but I believe that Isabel was 500 miles in diameter before she came ashore - a big girl indeed!

The apparent diameter of the storm in the pics looks to be a lot less than 500m. I definitely agree that I would give this one a wide berth!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.