Fly Fishing Forum banner

Gaspe Peninsula of Quebec

4K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Charlie 
#1 ·
Monday June 6, I leave on my first Atlantic salmon adventure. Here I come Gaspe.

Will be staying with Bill Greiner's Malbaie River Lodge, and looking forward to beautiful eastern Canada geography, and people.

I have all my sinking tip lines set up, but after reading Willie Gunn's several posts on SpeyPages, think I should have full sinking lines not sinking tips. After all, Willie states the Scots solved these problems more than a century ago, and did so WITHOUT sink tips.

I'm in trouble, but looking forward to the chance to prove Willie Gunn to be officially "dufferized," that state when reason exits and dufferdom rules all.

Bob

#3 ·
Bob,

I was up to Bill's Malbie River Lodge last year for the first time ... you will not be diapointed in any way. Great rivers ... Great Lodge ... Great Staff

We use all floating lines and no weighted flies ... I was told that was the sporting way it was done ... so I would make sure to take the floaters with you.

We fished about 50-50 dries and wets ... Salmon on a dry is fun ... seeing the salmon turn ... its head come out of the water ... your fly in the open mouth ... pulling the fly from their open mouth before they a hooked ... being a trout fisherman I set the hook quickly and pulled right out of the salmon's mouth more than once.

I am going back to Bill's place in a couple of weeks ... arriving June 13th ... I can't wait to get back up there ... sounds like you will be there the week before so warm them up for me.

Good Luck,

Stephen

#5 ·
Bob,

I got to Bill's lodge a day or so after you left ... they were still talking about you ... how is the leg? Was the plane ride hard on you? I hope you caught some fish?

I didn't break anything and caught some fish ... So I guess I only had a GREAT time! I love going the Malbaie River Lodge ... the food, staff, guides are all great ... and the rivers are the most beautiful I have ever seen.

I fished the Grand, York, St. John and Dartmouth rivers and caught fish in 3 of 4.

I fished one day with Bill and hooked a 12 pounder. Bill was trying to land it and slipped on a rock and ended sitting in the river. I could have helped Bill or land the fish ... sorry Bill. Bill got up and finally tailed the salmon.

These fish are the hardest fighting fish I have ever seen. They just don't give up. A couple of jumps and 7-8 runs almost to the backing and it was still fighting went we tailed them.

Lots of fish in the rivers ... The largest one I landed was 18 pounds and was not even close to the largest fish in the pools ... some were 30-35 pounds maybe more.

Bill if the you read this .... Thanks for a great trip!

Bob ... I hope you are doing better.

Stephen

#10 · (Edited)
Bob:

Good to chat with you last night; happy 4th! Good luck healing and I hope the Dean treats you well.

With the full moon next June 11 I am sure you will find quite a few fish when you come back next season. It will be quite the place with Simon Gawesworth and Jim Vincent in camp. This will be their first Gaspe trip and they are pretty excited already.

One thing I can do for you regarding a handicap discount is to make sure you get 3 passes thru each pool before Matt makes a single cast!

Bill

#11 ·
Bob:

It was pleasure sharing a pool with you on the York this past June. The next best thing to hooking a salmon is to be able to have good conversation with a fellow salmon angler such as yourself. I am glad to hear your ankle is doing better and I hope your trip to the Dean goes well......just a couple of quick thank you's. First, to Ann Smith, without her help and expertise our group would not be nearly as successful as it was. Her knowledge of the Gaspe Rivers are unmatched. Secondly, I would like to thank Glen at Camp Bonaventure for taking time out of his busy day to show Charlie and myself your beautiful lodge. The hard work of yourself and staff diffinitely shows, it is the nicest lodge I have seen on the Gaspe. Lastly, to Mario for showing me just how beautiful the Bonaventure River really is and for guiding me to my first "Bonnie" salmon. I only wish the weather would have been a little nicer because I am sure we would have done much better than we did. Next year, you will have to promise to pull that big beautiful canoe to the bank for at least an hour and let me show you that there is more than one way to tame a big river----spey fishing.

Sincerely,

Brian

#13 · (Edited)
Hi Silver Gray,

Thanks for the note.but, I need to clarify a few things.

( smile Silver Gray!! ) Hey..your first on the Boni!!

I am not the angler..

You are the anglers...... the secret, I think, is being on the river at the right time.

I lift my "fishing hat" .......you guys were on schedule for fishing and probably the first ones at Tim Horton's.even before me!!! :confused:
(hey my reputation at Tim's!!! How dare you????!!!!!!)
snoozing in the afternoon............and late for Dinner!!! :Eyecrazy:

That's the secret fishing potion!!

Still waiting for our hot dog party.........( :confused: ) are you gone home? or still fishing???

Ann :devil:

( Miss you guys........ :mad: )

#14 ·
Great Experience!!!!!

Having just gotten back home from my first ever trip for Atlantic Salmon, I have to think Ann for setting up an almost perfect introduction. We had wonderful guides who helped us learn some of the differences in Salmon and Steelhead fishing, good waters every day and even managed to catch some of these wonderful creatures.
It is a beautiful area full of warm helpful people. I am already counting down the days to next June when we will be going back. Tell Leo and Dave we said hi and thanks again to them and you, Ann.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.