Fly Fishing Forum banner

Winter reading

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  fredaevans 
#1 ·
The long winter nights are here in Scotland I had a little discussion with Topher Brown on another thread about authors.

TB recommended GREEN, Philip I did a couple of searches on Ebay and Amazon and the only title on Amazon was
GREEN, Philip: New Angles on Salmon Fishing,

Is this his only/ best book?
Any other recomendations ?

Ebay suggest How GREEN was my Valley, Philip Dunne
which was less than helpful.

#4 ·
Suggested Winter Reading

W.G. et al.,

Philip Green was British Armed Services Retired; he wrote "New Angles On Salmon Fishing" (Allen & Unwin, London, 1984) in a fishing hut, I believe, at Woodend on the Aberdeenshire Dee in the early 1980's. It is some of the most original (and accurate) thought to ever come out on Atlantic salmon fishing. In steelhead country, I know it is a personal favorite of Alec Jackson, who recommended it to me.

See the most recent issue of "Art of Angling Journal" (Vol. #2, Issue #2); Philip Green is quoted at length.

#5 ·
Willie..

Not about Atlantics...But I think we all share the same river thoughts.

I think one of the finest winter reads one can find on PNW rivers is a book called " A River Seen Right" by Mike Baughman....

Stories and memories about 30 years of fly fishing the North Umpqua.

Very few people know the North Umpqua as Mike does...

A good man, superb writer, and one hell of an angler !

Easy to get...Just type in: "A River Seen Right."

Meiz

#6 ·
Malcolm,

Why not go back to the Victorian classics? Kelson's "The Salmon Fly" is so full of information on fishing and tying it is a tome that has had a major influence on my steelhead fishing. I have found Kelson to have been much maligned by many; however, I have also found those who disparage his book almost never have read any of it, let alone the whole book. It is a very large and voluminous book; but one that I think any Atlantic Salmon or steelhead fly fisher can learn much from. It is not just a book on tying classic feather wings, it is really a fishing book that is disguised as a book on fly patterns.

Traherne's book "Salmon Fishing with the Fly" is another book that, although not anywhere near as voluminous and complete as Kelson's, has much of value in it. Hill's "Salmon Fishing", which was recommended to me by Alec Jackson, is another one of those wonderful little tomes that is full of wisdom for fishing the low-water of summer and fall, and a book that I am glad I procured.

All of the above titles are available through Fly Fishers Classic Library (very high quality bindings, inks, and paper) and they are located in the UK.

#7 ·
Books

I second the recommendation for Hill, a very nice book. I also like Anthony Crossleys "Floating line for salmon and sea trout". I also liked the compilation of stories in the recent book "The Leaper". Another thing I like to read in winter is Ernest Schwieberts short stories on salmon fishing, if you ever plan on fishing a west coast Norwegian river you should read the story "Raspberries in the rain".

If anybody can read Norwegian/Swedish/Danish it's also worth it to look for any of the latest books by Jan Johansson, particularly "Du vidunderlige lakseflue" which is a nice book on flies, Norway and Scotland.

I see that I need to read Philip Green in english. I have only read the Norwegian translation, and I did not like that very much.

Knut

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.