Fly Fishing Forum banner

Its arrived

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 ·
Got the call from my local outfitter today -

"your yak has arrived and its real purrrrrdy".

Oh Boy Oh boy Oh Boy!!!!!!!

At this rate I could be gettin' wet by March 3rd:D

Pete:

Interesting you should mention wooden paddles. Michele was talinking about the advantages of Greenland Style paddles for long trips.

What do you guys reckon is a reasonable day paddle-plan including a meaningfull fishing session (nm/hours paddling out & back).

I'm thinking that somewhere between one & two hours out and the same back would be about it for a round trip day fishing/paddle. Catch the tides right and you're talking 3 - 6+ nm each way.

Gonna get fit this year!

Quit smokin' 6 weeks ago and doing the slim-fast thing. Michele tells me paddling is great for the abs;)

See less See more
#3 ·
I second the congrats on all counts Adrian! It's great news.

The reduced windage of a Greenland padlle is a proven fact. Met somewhat by an offset paddle - something I can do occasionally.

As an example of the right paddle making all the difference, last weekend we stashed my lightweight as a backup. After about 10 minutes of paddling with Pete's large diameter club type paddle, I had to pull mine out of storage in the back of Pete's yak.

What a difference, I then porceeded to enjoy myself.

Stomache crunches strengthen the abs & back - preparing you for that first paddle.

#4 ·
Adrian,
Congratulation on receipt of the yak and especially on quitting smoking. It'd be approaching a year for me now if it weren't for that business trip to England that interupted my time at the Spring Clave. My downfall was being up for 36 hours, with the stress of travel and visting a pissed off customer, then going to the hotel pub, after an hour's nap, and winding down with a few pints. Majority of the people in the pub were smokers and I was in a weakend state. I do know, that if you are a "regular" smoker and quit, there is no such thing as "well one won't hurt". I'm trying to prepare for another attempt but there's too much negative karma about, right now.

As soon as I read Penguin and Roop's report on thier Sunday excursion, I panicked, and jumped on the elliptical trainer. One thing about the smoking is that I get to run up and down three flights of stairs whenever I need a butt at work.

#6 ·
Adrian... congrats and good luck.. that's perfect... those early morning Monomoy trips will be perfect and all along the west side of south beach. See you soon. After Roop and Penguin fill you in on gadgets for your yak... I will take over.:) I got to quit too and soon otherwise the beach walks will be ruined ... among other more serious things.

#7 ·
You got that right John. I would like to retire one day and be healthy enough to still make the occasional death march! Sounds like a few of us have been through the quit thing before - a little older and wiser this time;)

I'm really looking forward to paddling the Chatham / Monomoy area with you guys this season. In fact, I'm looking forward to pursuing Mr. Striper from his 'nooky' in the upper Hudson all the back up to the crib:D

#8 · (Edited)
Hi , Good luck with your yak. I just picked up a Tarpon last month. I choose it after reviewing forums on Sitontopkayak.com and Texas Kayak fishers. I've been out twice and need to point out something to check. I traveled 6 mi home and 2 mi.
to the lake with it on top of the truck . The last time when I took it off at the lake a screw popped from the front hatch strap . I returned to the dealed who replaced it. When I got home I found a rear strap missing both sides had come off. I was able to find the strap undamaged . When we looked inside we found all the belt screws to be too short to reach the nylon lock in the nuts .(3 nuts loose laying inside) Replaced them all with longer ones .I also used ss eye hooks on the rear hatch belts with large washers so I can bungie stuff behind me . Check all your screws before you go too far !!! Good luck .Ps Look at Http:/users2.ev1net/~sherifoster/rh/ for a real clean way to rig rear rod holders on this boat. I put pluged rubber hose over the intrusions inside the boat so the holders are water tight incase of a roll over.

#9 ·
Thanks for the tips seamoose!

I got the boat home today and noticed that a couple of screws were loose. I'll go back and double check everything again!

#11 ·
Mark, I ended up going for Ice Blue - its actually pretty 'stealthy' and the mottled effect should hide all but the worst dings. I will post pics once I get reconnected. The sand/grey looks pretty good too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.