Fly Fishing Forum banner

Playa Del Carmen April 2014

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  swietpea 
#1 ·
Hi All,
I will be in PDC April 26-May 3 and Tulum May 3-10. Looking for a someone to split a few days guided in Ascension Bay. Will be doing the DIY thing also. Bringing SUP's for access to Boca Paila and Laguna Campeche.
Anyone interested? If you have spouse to keep mine occupied while we explore, all the better.
Staying at Mayan Palace in PDC and PavoReal in Tulum.
Really can't wait!
Any and all DIY info most welcome.
Come skiing in Tahoe and we can plan!
Scott

#2 · (Edited)
hello, i too will be staying at the Mayan Palace during that time. (March 29th to April 5th) With brother in-law..no spouses this time. Would be greatly interested in talking with you about fly fishing while down there or getting any tips you may have for that area. We are avid fly guys here in the states but have not done any south of the border and have been talking of giving it a go while down there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...thanks

sorry.....had dates wrong we will be there before you but am still trying to gather any info that might be helpful to us.......

#3 ·
Mayanguy,
I have not fished the PDC area. All of my Yucatan flats fishing has been in the Xcalak area 3 hours south of PDC. Not a place for a spouse unless looking for that end of the world feeling, but fantastic fishing. My biggest recommendation for a first time flats fisherman is to hire a guide. Besides where to fish, the hardest part is spotting the fish. Guides can do it amazingly well. There are fish in the surf, but the best opportunities come from the lagoons in the areas. Using Google Earth is a way to try to decipher where fish might hold, but it all looks different at ground level. There is plenty of info on Boca Paila in this and other blogs. I feel that will be hammered and fish spooky. But I will try when there.
If fishing off the beach in PDC area, 8 wts. with clousers, deceivers, and most shrimp or crab patterns should get you some ladyfish, jack, or there are always cuda around. I hear there are snook, bonefish, and the occasional fruit loop fed permit. I always bring sinking lines, but usually never vary from a floating line. The drive down to Ascension Bay is meant to be slow and bone jarring. There are good websites. DIY flatsfishing is a great site and Rod is very knowledgeable for that area. Split the $400 bucks for a guide. It will be more than worth it.
Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.