Fly Fishing Forum banner

Slim Bunny

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Dble Haul 
#1 ·
Here's an experiment that seems to have potential. I guess it's a variation of a double bunny, trimmed to have a profile similar to some successful non-ff lures :D

hook: 3/0 bass bug
tail: 1/8" rabbit glued back-to-back, trimmed
body: 1/8" cross-cut rabbit, palmered, trimmed
weed guards: 20# mono

This tail is about 4" long, with one half longer than the other for more taper and flexibility. Total length is 5-1/2". It looks pretty good in the sink test -- it moves even when standing still :cool: . I might epoxy the head to give it more momentum in the water.

Q

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice tie!

I've been trying to no avail to imitate soft plastic stick baits as well, but the best I came up was a simple srip of furry foam on a hook.
It acted kinda like one... but it was also about as durable as one:roll:

But great fly Quentin, I'll have to give it a try.....

#5 ·
Wee Hooker said:
FWIW, I tied a similar experiment but used a 3" section of 80# mono glued inbetween the strips to keep it from wrapping. Food for thought.

p.s. Mine worked "Ok" but cast like a idaho potato :D
:chuckle: I know what you mean :hihi: . I'm hoping that the trimmed fur and non-weighted shank will make it easier to cast.

I don't think I'll have a problem with the tail fouling on this fly. It's actually a little stiffer than I thought it would be. The skin is quite thick on these strips, and I glued them together with Soft Body, which helps reduce flexibility. It does "hinge" a little where it is tied on, but if that causes problems it's an easy fix. With thinner skins it might be necessary to do something to prevent fouling. The mono line sandwich would probably work, or just using a heavier layer of Soft Body might do the trick.

Q

#6 ·
I've tied some very long eel flies using 12" olive rabbit strips glued together with the heavy mono sandwiched in between.After they are retrieved ,they are like a soaken dish towel,though it can be a pain in the a$$,I ring them out and squeeze the water out of them between each cast.The action of these flies and the success I've had with them make up for the slight inconvience.:chuckle: :hihi:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.