Fly Fishing Forum banner

Best inexpensive reel

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Steve_sullivan 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a reel for my 5wt rod. Can anyone tell me or have an opinion as to what you think the best most inexpensive machined fly reel there is?

Thanks

#2 ·
If you want a great value I'd look no further than the TFO series of reels. I had an opportunity to try out the TFO 425 and I was really, really impressed with the reel. Plus, you are backed by a company with a great reputation for taking care of their customers.
Chris

#8 ·
You can certainly find a Lamson Radius for that price range or, perhaps even better, a Teton Tioga. The Tioga Teton is a terrific reel with great guts. I have landed a nine pound steelhead on a five wt. with a Teton 6 and it performed like a champ. Remember that for a whole lot of trout fishing, unless you are going for bigger fish in larger rivers, you may rarely actually use the drag. I find that I am often fighting fish just by managing line and never actually getting the fish on the reel.

Nick in CA

#11 ·
Temple Forks Outfitters MK I would be my recommendation. It has a disc drag system, machined, saltwater safe, holds 140 yds of 20# backing with a WF5F AND fits your budget at $149.95. Again, TFO has a great reputation for making great products and taking care of their customers.

Based on my personal experience with several of the high end (Abel, Loop, Daniellson) and value (SA System II) priced reels I really like what I see in the TFO reels. I sincerely think you'll be pleased and recommend you try to compare one side by side with anything else in this price range. Don't think you'll find a better value for such a quality product.

Chris

#12 ·
Reel

For an inexpensive reel, check out the Bass Pro Shop " Hobbs Creek" reels. Great reels and they sell for around 40.00. I have 2 and they are great reels and I have never had a problem with them. Also, stay away from Okuma, have two of the Intergrity reels and they are nothing but trouble.

#15 ·
Hey Chainsaw...

Also, stay away from Okuma, have two of the Intergrity reels and they are nothing but trouble.
Would you elaborate on the above please.

1copper,

You will find great value in the system 2 reels

#16 ·
There are 3 different System II reels. The 2, 2LA and 2L. For a 5 wt rod you probably want the 2L unless you expect some seriously long runs. I have a 2L on my 4 wt rod and like it a lot.

The 2 is suitable for midweight and heavyweight rods including saltwater rods. The 2LA is a large arbor midweight reel. (Probably more for the large arbor fad than anything else.) And the 2L is for lightweight rods.

#17 · (Edited)
1copper said:
I'm looking for a reel for my 5wt rod. Can anyone tell me or have an opinion as to what you think the best most inexpensive machined fly reel there is?

Thanks

The okuma sierra is a steal at $33 at some online sellers. I had a 7/8 and while its drag was NOT super smooth like a Danielson, it was able to handle 30 pound salmon.

Talking about steals, I picked that reel up on clearance at walmart for $11!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.