Fly Fishing Forum banner

Looking for a yak.....

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  DFix 
#1 ·
.....and I don't mean the kind in Tibet. ;D

Seriously, as the season winds down, I'm very much aware of how much more coastal fishing would be available to me if I owned a kayak. Any input for a yak newbie on what brands to look for? I'm looking for value, safety, effeciency, and comfort. Please keep in mind that I'm 6'6" tall, but quite thin. I need to keep leg room in mind. Also, I drive a Pathfinder with a roof rack, so transport is not a problem.

I look forward to your input. Thanks. :)

Mark

#2 ·
Mark,

It depends on what you want to do with it.

I’m over 6’ when I stand up straight and have know that my Wilderness Systems Manteo has more room left on the foot pegs for someone taller. I bought it because it tracks straighter & faster to get me where I want to go + it was on sale!

I think the number one choice for all body shapes is the Pungo by Wilderness Systems – probably due to the larger cockpit opening.

This is a good time of year to find a deal as rental shops liquidate their stock form the season.

Check out the Old Town Loon 138 as well.

Roop

#3 ·
DH....Pungo....easy to get into/out of and stable....may need a dry bag....don't $kimp on the paddle!....spray skirt will help keep the ocean outside where it belongs....a PFD is cheap life insurance...
In the long run, it's alot less expensive than psycho-therapy but frequent use may strain a tenuous marriage.
DO NOT watch "Shark Week" on the Discovery channel!

#4 ·
Dblhaul ,It depends on what type of fishing you want to do.Try out as many as you can.If you plan on launch in surf you will need a SOT (sit on top).If not a sink(sit in kayak) will work.I have a Pungo and love it very stable.There are a lot of good yaks out there.Try before you buy.I know a guy who demos Cobra yaks.Tell us what and where fishing you will be doing to narrow it down.I see you are in Ct. I live in Bristol.Let me know ,I will try to help out.Palmico sink is bigger than Pungo. More legroom in cockpit to stretch out.
joev

#5 ·
Thanks for the input so far, guys. I guess I failed to mention that I would primarily be using the kayak to get from point A to point B, then probably get out and wade. I want to be able to reach waters that I could only look at this year, and most of them were on the back sides of islands, salt ponds, and farther up tidal creeks. So I guess you could say that I'd be using it for more protected waters.

I'm not adverse to fishing from the kayak, but right now I have Roop's mindset of just wanting better access. As I become more comfortable with it, I'll adjust and branch out.

Mark

#7 ·
Mark,
I bought the Pungo this summer. At about 6'5" the foot brace adjustment come's up a bit short. I'll probably do a modification to move the brackets forward. Other than that, the Pungo works fine for me. The Wilderness Pamlico looks interesting for us long legged types, plus it has a convertible seat system for solo or tandem paddling.

Fred A.

#8 ·
Check out the kayak dealer in Collinsville its on the left when you going to fish the Farmington . He has plenty of boats
to try out. I have a Necky Santa Cruz which I like very much. My friend who is a lot taller than I bought a Loon 138 and likes it very much. what ever you do try before you buy. I know that before the season begins Collinsville Kayak has a big sale. FishHawk

#9 ·
Fred- Thanks for the input. It's nice to know that I'm not the only long-legged angler out there. :p

Fishhawk- I fish the Farmington in the early season and definitely plan on checking the store out. Thanks for the lead. This way going fishing allows me an excuse to check out kayaks, or checking out kayaks allows me an excuse to go fishing. Better stop before I get dizzy.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.