Fly Fishing Forum banner

Decent setup...

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  DaveTheFisher 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I have recently been addiceted to fly fishing after a week long trip. I am mainly fishing trout in arkansas/missouri and some in colorado. I only have around 500 to spend on the rod/reel so I wont be able to purchase mutiple rods. I was just wondering what you guys think a good all around weight would be as well as a decent rod/reel for that price.

Thanks much,
-Dave

#2 · (Edited)
Dave,

Welcome to a life long pursuit and passion.

With 500 bucks you can get into some really NICE outfits. IMHO, ... you don't even need to spend that much.

Some of the good stuff is way less than that for a full setup, rod, reel and line. Remember, ... ya need to keep some $$ to be able to actually go fishing (what with gas prices 'n all).

Not just because they're a sponsor here, ... but the TFO stuff is nice:
http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/

As for line weights and rod lenghts, I prefer to let some of the other members here pitch in for recommendations.

Choosing a rod is a really personal thing. Do you prefer a "faster" action rod or are you a nice and relaxed caster. Do you plan on casting and fishing BIG streamers, bomb the banks from a drift boat or "lob" big weighted nymphs ?

Or, ... do you prefer smaller flies, dries and classic wets ?

Quality stuff is more and more easy to find. You make the choice if you want 100% Made In The USA or if you will buy import stuff. (all good quality, .. just a consumer choice).

2 piece or multiple pieces ... IMHO, most casters can't really feel the difference in multi piece rods (over 2 pc), ... depends on travel plans etc.

Anyway, ... (sad to say ;)), ... it won' be your last rod. :)

#3 · (Edited)
Hehe, im sure it wont be my last rod. If im this hooked after just a week imagine what im going to be like in a year!

As to your question, I think im mainly going to be wading in some of the streams, of which some a pretty big. I might also go floating with a couple of my friends. From what fishing I have done so far, I think I will mainly be using drys and on ocassion using some nyphs.

Not sure if this matters as to what rod/ reel I end up purchasing, but thats why I am asking the experts :tongue:

Thanks,
-Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.