Fly Fishing Forum banner

Salina Point progress report.

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  MRobertson 
#1 ·
Just got back from a great week on Acklins. We have a lease on a place in Salina Point that is being remodeled as a lodge HQ, and some nice rooms arranged. The limiting factor in fishing around Salina Point has been infrastructure, that is finally changing with the new road, water system and our operation starting up. We have two great boats ordered, a 26 ft set up for sport and fly fishing, and a 22 ft that will make the run to Fish Cays in any weather we care to venture out in. Both will run in a foot of water or handle the blue water. We still have the Dolphin with the 90 four stroke as well. Everything should be ready to roll after the new year.

While we were there we did a bunch of blue water trolling and fly fishing. We caught tuna(yellowfin, blackfin, skipjacks and little tuny), dorado(all over 20 pounds) and ceros on flys. The bait and birds are thick right now and lead you to the fish, which are feasting on sardines and silversides that look just like a gummy minnow. We caught Wahoo, BIG kingfish, cudas, sharks and a mess of other stuff trolling. Lots of snappers and grouper dropping deep. We are really excited about the fishing around Castle Island and Mira Por Vors Cays...very remote, unfished waters! We know billfish are a certainty when we have the larger boats in place. The permit were in, though we did little flats fishing this trip as the creeks were rather warm. We saw several permit near Salina Point and two were landed on the ocean side out of Acklins Island Lodge. We never got up to our tarpon spots but our guides have been seeing them in the bight, and quite large as well. The guys at Crooked got an 80 pounder last week. As we have noted in the past, the summer bonefish are smaller than the fall and winter fish.

All the folks in Salina Point are welcoming and very excited about fishermen staying in their settlement. Greetings passed from David and Willie to all from the board who have fished with them!

Bob

See less See more
#4 ·
Dave17 said:
Awesome Bob, that's great to hear. We need to start talking dates because JimS and I are going to go through you this year.

What's the story with occupancy and available dates?

Thanks,
David
We should be ready for any dates in mid January through May. We should be able to handle up to six guys per week but groups of 2, 3, or 4 will work best. The plan is to continue to rotate and rest flats while mixing in the blue water days for those interested. Our house is currently having the floors poured and exterior finished. We will be finishing the inside this fall. When done we will have a large kitchen w/cook on site, a large sreened porch/dining area, BBQ area and room for 2-4 guests on site plus three other rooms just up the road to use as required. We woud like to get the place spouse friendly, with trips to the Light House, remote beaches and snorkeling. We are also very excited about starting to access the miles of untouched Oceanside grass flats that hold some huge bones and permit that are never fished as access is so tough without the bigger boats.

We have a large list of guys waiting, I'll have to start sorting through the schedual soon. Drop me an e mail and I'll put you guys on the list and get you the dates you want ASAP.

Bob

#9 ·
Hey Malcolm,

David was thrilled, he is certainly the coolest dresser in Salina Point.

Water looks OK, we just had a bunch of rain and snow while I was gone. The river only blew out for a week or so, but has stayed steady and cool. Big browns are eating rubber legs hard with the salmon flies crawling. They should come off in about 10 days or less. The creeks look awesome this year, with work on DePuys and O'Hairs completed. I just got home from Nelsons and the PMD nymphs are very thick in all the weed beds, looks like they will start to pop next week.

Let me know when you are coming out and I'll block out a day or two for you to row me down the river.:chuckle:

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.