Fly Fishing Forum banner

"It's No Fluke" Flounder fly

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Lefty 
#1 ·
I thought hard about creating a flounder fly.. I say a number of them by Borski and someone else whch used all bucktail.. but I thought about it this morning and want to add this to my own flys simmilar to my "Crab Apple"... This is my second fly, any comments or critiques are appreciated. The next one will hide the dumbbells and I also used a lead keel along the botm of the shank... Marabou for the fins along the body and tail. Used two sides of marabou for the fins to get them along the edges and light epoxy on the bottom to seal everything in.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
John,

Do you have a blood and sand worm fly ? Tthats what I used to catch flounder on in NJ, Manasquan River down near Belmar.

How about a clam fly got any of those, that was also one of the baits we used when I was a kid and had not started the conversion to flys yet.

Was in NJ two years ago, rented a beach house for a week in Lavallette. Caught a couple of flounders off the ocean rock jetties on rapala type lures when fishing for stripers. Sorry could not fit the fly rods in the van with the whole family with me. Borrowed my brothers spinning gear for the week.

No stripers caught, just two flounders. Good to back in NJ on the beach though and spent a day at IBSP, great place ever been there ? Good surf fishing when they are running.

I miss the ocean and salt water can you tell ?

Hal

#3 ·
PM... not sure if I understand your post... this flounder fly is used for catching stripers... They go after small flounders as well as the other baits. I would not use it to catch flounder... I have done that with small clousers striped slowly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.