Fly Fishing Forum banner

Thoughts for Volume #2?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Jay C. 
#1 ·
I'm working volume #2 of the website pretty hard lately and thought I should collect some feedback on Vol#1 before I get too carried away -

***** What do readers want to see? *****

I know people miss the old linear BB, there are two options there: re-install that one we beta tested, or align with many other regional BB's.

Here are some changes coming:

"Experts" is "Expertise", and will be focused toward knowledge about flyfishing that accomodates the neophyte as well as the sage angler. It will be a contributor-driven area of the site with featured flies and personalities to keep it fresh. A base of information called "Vested Knowledge" will be available there.

Your WEB is finally being re-worked. The layout has been re-done but the portal tools will be a bit later down the road. It will be a place where you can find out what web resources we provide now, and where we will let people in the back door later.

Destinations will get a huge overhaul, and will become both an information center of great places to fish as well as a place where grand fishing reports are presented. If any of you go anywhere good, we'll expect to see it posted in destinations! (right Kevin?
)

Chronicles will need to be arranged to accomodate more stories but overall it's stable.

Public Market will be coming alive here soon thanks to some work by AL Deluca.

And of course the Home page will be revised per the new Volume.

The general status is that I have piles of material and very little time to put it onto the site. IF there is anyone out there that can help out, let me know and I will see if you can't speed this thing up togehter.

thanks and talk soon,
Juro

See less See more
#3 ·
I like the layout a lot too. At this early stage my sense is to be careful of further fragmentation. Maybe it's my puny brain but there is a lot already. I DO like the fact though that there is <font color="F0000F">SOME</font><!--color--> compartmentalization. For instance, Steelheading. In New England it's a dream (no offense to you "Headers"). I do not plan on getting into it just because of the logistics, though I would love to. So it's nice to have that compartmentalized and not "in my way" as I seek other info. Same goes for Bonefishing.

One other point. The reason that the open forum get's the most traffic is because readers like an area free of rules. You don't have to worry about "am I in the right category?". Loose that and we loose it all IMO. It proves that people love simplicity.

Terry

#6 ·
Juro,
I agree with Terry's comments on the site's open format.
The compartmentalization works pretty well without being too restrictive.

There is a lot going on at the site and utilization of the different areas probably is measureable with your web tools, and I would like to see some analysis of what parts of the site drew the most interest. We then could discuss how we wanted to influence the site-use as as an oversight group.
Here's an example: let's say a sponsored artist or craftsman isn't getting the attention and hits we think the skill deserves. We could decide to "feature' the skill or art-form in a more direct way. Maybe we rotate an "opening artist" graphic on a monthly basis and allow prime exposure for the featured individual, product, skill or whatever.

One thing that bugged me about a related site is that the material stagnated except for the local reports and the bulletin board. The information 'periodical' didn't turn over enough articles to hold anyone's interest. Of course
the maintenance is labor intensive so we need to think about that, but dynamic information generates the energy a site captures.

Rambling on I suppose...Juro, e-mail me with a suggestion on how I can help get you through some of your backlog.

Jay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.