Fly Fishing Forum banner

Salmon Setup

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Leo M 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

First off I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Mike I'm from PA and am brand new to fly fishing my boss and some friends have been trying to get me into if for a while so I finally took the jump!

I bought my first fly fishing setup a few weeks ago. Went to my local Orvis dealer and told him I wanted a decent all around setup that I could use for Bass (small & large), Steelhead, & Salmon. He suggested an 8wt 10ft Clearwater rod & Clearwater LA IV reel w/ Hydros WF 8wt line.

I've used it in my local river for smallmouth bass and so far it has been great...well as great as any outfit with somebody who has no clue what they are doing using it! lol

I am going to Salmon River in Pulaski on Tuesday for a 6 day salmon fishing trip. One friend told me to forget using a fly fishing leader as I will go through a ton of cash. I was told to attach a 4 ft section of 14lbs test fluoro line to my fly line. Then attach a swivel with another 4ft section of 12 lbs test fluoro as my tippet. Place 3 large split shots on the leader right above the swivel. Also, was told to run an egg sucking leech as the fly with a foot and a half section of 12 lbs test fluoro from the hook to a salmon egg fly.

Just curious how you guys feel about this setup. If you like some parts and not others I'd love to hear your opinions. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Also, being new to fly fishing I was also told to take a heavy weight spinning rod with a similar setup.

Thanks
Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
I see no one has responded to your question. In my opinion you have posted your question in the wrong section. This section is for CLASSIC Atlantic salmon, that's like in Eastern Canada, the UK, Scandinavia and the Kola Peninsula in Russia. That is pretty much fly only other than the areas that allow spinning. I have no idea what you're talking about. I would post your question in another section. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.