Fly Fishing Forum banner

Blue Crab---#2

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
This is a better picture of the cut of the carapace.. I changed the swimmerettes, propped the eyes up over the carapace and put a light coating of E-Z paint before I epoxied the partridge feathers down. Capturing the true color of the blue crab is hard.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
John, wow, it gets better and better. I have a freind who does about 20 days of permit fishing a year. He has been playing with a molded carapace crab that a dentist friend of his is developing, and I see some terrific similarities(like minds think alike). I really like the way you incorporate the organic materials to give your patterns "life". The dentist's look a little dead to me, but the permit seem to like them. I suspect that they would love yours(with a little more green for Belize).
I read that Del Brown has been tieing all his merkins with the Eagle Claw LC 413 hook recently. They have a sharp bend at the eye and I have been having very good luck with them. Hook rides up. I wonder how that would work for you. PM me you adress again and I will send you a few after the holidays. What size are you tieing these in?

#6 ·
striblue said:
Capturing the true color of the blue crab is hard.
That's because they all look a little different! I used to go crabbing when I lived in Maryland and the carapaces of the crabs down there were more of a greenish/orangish/reddish color. Only the big claws (on males) and the swimmers were really blue in color. They also have quite a bit of "white" on the face, claws, legs and belly. Check out some of the online photos and you'll see how varied the coloration is.

BTW, I've tangled with a few angry blue crabs and I can't imagine how any fish would want to try to eat them! (but I guess they do!)

Q

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.