Fly Fishing Forum banner

Wintergreen Spey - (variation)

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  flytyer 
#1 ·
This is my version of a pattern that was originated by Greg Scot Hunt for steelhead in the Sauk River in Washington. Green and yellow are very good colors on the Gaspe so I thought this pattern would be useful in the Gaspe Rivers.

Materials
Hook: Up-eye salmon fly hook
Tag: Oval silver tinsel
Tail: Golden pheasant crest dyed orange
Body: 1/2 flat silver tinsel, 1\2 green dubbing
Rib: Oval silver over dubbing only
Hackle: Pheasant rump or similar feather dyed yellow
Throat: Green dyed teal.
Wing: Green, yellow and chartreuse dyed goose shoulder married. (original calls for a strip of plain light green goose)
Cheeks: Jungle cock
Head: Yellow

Charlie

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Good point flytyer.

I have just edited the post to include the original wing of light green goose as an option. I will have to try and come up with a tutorial for married wings when the show season is over. As you know it is not as hard as many people think. And these simple strip wing wet flies are a good way to practice setting such a wing.

Charlie.

#9 ·
Charlie,

It has amazed me over the years how folks continue the false impression/belief that married wings are difficult to get married. When as you said, they are really easy to do. When I've shown folks how to do it and how easy it is, they have been surprised to learn it was simple and that they just had the mis-perception that it was very difficult to marry the fibers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.