Fly Fishing Forum banner

Camera Drybags

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  dal 
#1 ·
Greetings!

Several months back I thought I saw a post regarding camera drybags. The post included a link to a web site that featured these products. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find these bags?

Thanks for the help,

DAL

#2 ·
Hoy! Dry bags for cameras. $64 question.

Don't know the the web site your looking for but a couple of ideas for consideration.

Most 'water proof' cameras (point and shoot) you can buy anywhere are as good as advertised. Actually, most take pretty good photos. But if you want to use a 35mm it gets a bit more interesting. You can buy 'dry boxs' at all most any out door store and they work very well ... other than they're bulky as all heck in the back pocket of your vest.

I use one of these during the winter when I'm expecting rainy/wet weather. During the summer I'll take a couple of freezer weight zip lock bags (yes, two of them) and 'seal' an inexpensive 35mm camera inside the two. One will keep the camera dry if you take a dunking, the second one's for "insurnance." (Do two!!!)

Not had the guts to do an electronic camera for fishing, although I know a couple of fellows that have inexpensive electronic's that do. But both take yuckie quality photos (sorry guys).

So it's a question of what you want on the river. A camera that's inexpensive, but does the job. Or one that you can go beyond 'point and shoot'.

'fae

#3 ·
Suggestion

I have worked professionally as a phtotgrapher and currently work in imagery. I have thousands of $ worth of camera gear sitting in my office right now....including dry bags/pelican cases ect. The one camera I always have with me is a little Canon Sure Shot A1. It is waterproof to like 50 feet. It has a built in flash. It shoots 35mm film in either standard or panaramic formats and it even has a Macro setting. For my general "fish pictures" it is all I need. I never worry about dropping it in the water cause it floats. I never worry about fuzzy pictures due to plastic disposable lenses. I have sent in camera after camera to be repaired cause I brought it out on a boat or along on a fishing trip. It's kind of funny how you always come back to the basics. I love this little camera.

http://www.sureshotelph.com/sureshot/a1/index.html

John

Oh yeah, I think it retails for about $150. Hard to beat.

#4 · (Edited)
Hello Dal.

I use the Cascade design's Sels Dry bags a lot. They are great products at a good price. I did a search on Altavista and found a site selling boaat gear that have them. As you appear to live nearby the area where they are made (Seattle) I guess you can find them easily.

Here is the link, hope I do not get blacked for posting it:

http://www.botachtactical.com/casdessealli.html

I much prefer their clear bags as one finds whatever needed at a glance. The Guide Pack is good too, altough not that ergonomic. There Patagonia have new water tight daypack that costs a bit too much for me. It is great, though.

Good luck,
Per

PS. The Canon mentioned is my favorite, too. When the big cameras are left in camp the Canon always is at hand - without worries of it getting wet. DS

#5 ·
The Canon Sure Shot A1 mentioned above is what I use, and water is never a problem. Quality is high and it has an honest wide angle lens, 32 mm compared to the 38 mm most point and shoot cameras have. The only feature it lacks is a rewind button. If you want to process film with less than the 24 or 36 exposures in the film roll, you must press the shutter release, wait, press again, etc for the number of unused frames until the automatic rewind activates.

#6 ·
Aquapac

I use a product called the Aquapac. It's a clear waterproof camera bag. You shoot your pictures with the camera sitll in the bag. I was skeptical about the image quality at first, but it is actualy quite good -- the effect of shooting through the bag is almost nil. Remains to be seen whether the plastic wills cratch/fog with age & use.

Their web site is www.waterproofcases.net

Stu

#7 ·
Thank you all for the great response and good suggestions.
The bag which was previously mentioned and that I could not remember was indeed the Aquapac. Seems to be a fairly heavy duty version of the trusty freezer bag with the addition of a lanyard-type cord. Just the ticket for a zoom lens digital camera on the water!

Thanks again and tight lines!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.