Fly Fishing Forum banner

Finally got my cow.

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Dave17 
#1 ·
Last week fishing with Dave17, Joe (Tightlines), Tom, Lou and JB was an experienceof very different weather conditions.
Monday was overcast with a very strong wind and we fished Hardings because that was almost the only place we could cast. I persevered and ended up with my personal best at the time a 33inch striper

Tuesday we had continuous rain "falling" horizontally in a 40mph wind but we still managed a few fish.

Wednesday was a nicer day and I managed a 30" from Stage Harbor in the morning.
In the afternoon despite seeing monster fish on the flats nothing serious was caught.

On thursday Joe, Lou and I went out with Art. We fished a rip and found schools of striper rolling and even jumping out of the water. I knew it would be a difficult day as I caught a keeper on my first cast.
We caught a few fish but they seemed to have lock jaw however I managed to improve my personal best to 34inches.

We were really impressed with Art and booked him again for half a day the next day.
When we arrived at the dock at 11.30 Art was very pleased to see us as he had apparently found a lot of fish but his morning anglers were worse than useless.
When we reached the spot there were fish everywhere it was very windy and it was difficult to stand in the rolling waves however we persevered. Joe and Lou were very quickly into fish with Joe catching a 39 incher and Lou a 36". I could not get a take.
I changed my tippet from 20lb fluro to 16lb and that made all the difference.
I soon caught a new personal best of 38 inches.

That's Art holding my fish.

We continued and after a few more fish I landed a 41" striper.

The 4 hours we were fishing that day was one of the most successful I have had anywhere.
Many thanks Art.

A happy bunch of fishermen.

I finally got my cow.

See less See more
#7 ·
For the guys that don't know Pete, he is a diehard fly guy that travels around the world in purusit of his passion. Linkup with him and you'll have fun!

Congrats on the cow. You deserve it, and many more. Wanna hit the cape in the fall? Could be epic, but the last few years, not. But this year, May/June was the best.

Good luck in Iceland.

#13 ·
jimS said:
Hey Warren, we missed you this Spring. How's the arm doing? Got to get it in shape for the BFTs. What's it look like for this Fall?
Jim, I missed you guys as well. Looks like the fishing is good thus far. My arm is getting better. At least my hand is not numb now.
I actually cast my 4 wt over in the Adirondacks a couple of weekends back.

I am planning on a fall blitz to the cape as I am surely missing the fun. I am not sure about BFT's. But I'll settle for a few bluefish at this stage of the game.
In the meantime, I will monitor this channel for further developments in "Fishing Excellence" from the Elbow & elsewhere.

Keep the pics coming lads :D

#14 ·
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times....

Where to begin..... Two broken rods, a noreaster, a broken hook on a big fish, tailers everywhere but not a taker in the bunch.

That's how the beginning of the week went for me. In spite of all that the trip was a big success. As always, its the company that's the main highlight. It was great to see Pete, Joe, Lou, Tom, JB, Juro, Jim, Bill and even Neal:lildevl: . The fishing improved as the week went on. Finally had some success with those tailers. JB and I bit the bullet and went out on a boat on Saturday. We took 35 keepers from 28"-38" with 8 hours of constant action.

All in all an excellent trip! Here are a few of the finer moments:

http://gallery.mac.com/dkopij#100483&bgcolor=black&view=grid

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.