Fly Fishing Forum banner

Prince of Pike

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Dble Haul 
#1 ·
This fly is based on Flip Pallot's Prince of Tides, but with durable synthetic materials to stand up to pike abuse.

Hook: 3/0
Thread: Mono
Belly flash: Flat tinsel under wraps of 20lb mono
Underwing: Super hair
Wing flash: Krystal flash
Overwing: Super hair
Eyes: Prismatic
Head: Epoxy

The wraps of mono over the flat tinsel provide protection from being sheared by pike teeth. The wing flash can be augmented by a few strands of super hair. The red and white fly below has several strands of pink with the silver wing flash, and the chartruese and white fly has several strands of olive.

Overall fly length is about 5 inches. I look forward to trying these soon. Something tells me these would be nice and durable for blues as well.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Mark, those are very similar to some flies that I tied for use on bass and pickerel. Mine are super hair and krystal flash tied on a bass bug hook so that the wing material covers the point of the hook and the fly rides point up. Then I dip the front part of the fly in softex (about half way to the hook point) so that the wing material acts as a weed guard. You can use a twist-tie or a piece of thread around the wing material and the hook point to hold the material in place while the softex dries. They work! I've caught bass, pickerel, perch, sunfish and rock bass on my version.

Q

#6 ·
It's all in how the materials are tied onto the hook. By tying them in and orienting them so that they are above the plane of the shank and the bend, the hook bend acts as a keel and becomes the bottom.

The same principle applies to jiggy flies, Flip Pallot's Prince of Tides fly, and bendback flies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.