Fly Fishing Forum banner

Birthday in Rhody

905 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Dble Haul 
#1 ·
I spent the better part of yesterday in South County RI chasing anything that might bite a fly. It was windy, lots of mung, and awfully crowded for a non-holiday Monday, but the fish were around.

The Weekapaug breachway was full of bluefish from our arrival until we left for other spots. There was a picket line of plug casters who were nailing fish from one hundred yards inside the breachway out to the tips. Everyone was using surface plugs. I took a few cursory casts and decided to head on to another spot, knowing that the blues would probably still be there if I returned.

Quonny Pond was also loaded with bluefish, and there were only two other fishermen there. Bait was everywhere, and I was able to wade around the corner and locate a pod of willing blues. After about twenty minutes of decent action, we moved on to the West Wall.......25 mph blow and chocolate brown water that was full of mung, even on the inside......didn't even wet a line. Back to Weekapaug we went.

Upon our return to the breachway, I noticed that there were fewer fishermen, but they were still hooking up with the bluefish. I worked my way out on the east jetty and stayed patient. One by one the fishermen eventually left, allowing me to get closer and closer to the action at the tip. After a few short strikes inside the breachway, I found myself alone at the tip and saw blues to the east, just a decent cast away. There were several surfers waiting for the perfect wave, and I started to get action from fish that were only twenty feet behind them. A few of the boarders looked concerned when they saw the size of a few of the fish that I pulled out from behind them, but others simply laughed and gave me the thumbs up. Nice guys.

All in all, I probably lost too many poppers to the blues, but those that I landed were satisfying because they were a result of patience. Another year older, and getting more patient? We'll see how long it lasts. :p

See less See more
#3 ·
Great way to start a new year!
BTW, how big were the blues? They came in the breachway Saturday afternoon but averaged only 4 or 5 lbs. Mostly they frustrated diehard albie fishermen. Much as I love playing with blues when I'm in the right mood, they sure are a pain when you're looking for something a little more exotic!

On a brighter note, my day Saturday was improved by the surfers. Only they weren't surfer dudes, they were very healthy specimens of the female surfer variety. How do they keep those suits on in those turbulent waves? And no, it's not true that they had any thing to do with the fact that I spent an hour of fishing time body surfing with my kids. My boys insisted and I had no choice but to suffer. Oh the things we do for our children!

#4 ·
Mike- For the most part, the blues were the size that you've indicated. All that were caught by plug casters were under 5 pounds, which convinced me that if I wanted to catch anything bigger I would need to do something different with my retrieve. The plugs were being ripped back in at a very frantic pace, so I guessed that the bigger fish were being smart and just hanging back a bit to pick up the pieces of the smaller fishes' labors.

It seemed to work. By casting to the periphery of the melee and not immediately working the popper, I caught the attention of a few fish that were a size class larger than the 4 or 5 pounders. If nothing hit after half a minute, two sharp line strips would wake them up and call them to the fly. If this didn't work, it was usually because the fish had moved along or the popper had been swept away from the action. This presentation got a few blues that were about 7 or 8 pounds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.