Fly Fishing Forum banner

DFix Simple but deadly fly swap Meister fly

5K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  DFix 
#1 · (Edited)
Dave fix sent me a series of these flies for a meister fly in the simple but deadly fly swap. Thanks Dave, I'll let him enter the recipe.

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Name That Fly !!!

Marabou Mambo, Clarissa Chiquita, Carmen Miranda - Whatever! :rolleyes:
(okay, here we go again)

This idea is an attractor, which can be used to fish the entire water column. Depending on weight, it will suspend in slow water, sinking very slowly, swim in moving water or dive and bump bottom. I've built it in any imaginable color 'du jour'. I never bothered naming it before now. Depending on retrieve, it flutters, scoots or swims like crazy. I've used it in fresh and salt.

Hook: sz. 8 through 4/0 - your choice of standard O'Shaughnessy style. This one on S71S SS #4. Hook point rides UP.

Marabou tail/throat: depending on size, barbs removed from quill for smaller sizes, to using whole quills for tail; palmering or placing quill section(s) for throat.

Body: Pearlescent chenille, matching color, body wrapping or dubbing choice.

Eyes: According to hook size, bead chain or dumbbell style. Some may want to try this with Umpqua style barbell eyes. Don't go too big on the eye unless you want it to look like Barney Google or sink a 2/0-4/0 hook. In that case, you'd be better off weighting the hook body before building the body itself.

Thread: Size A; 3/0; Flat Wax Nylon, your choice.

Krystal Flash: according to color scheme.

Tie on; spiral wind a body of thread to above barb. Tie in tail and spiral wind back to one dumbbell eye's width behind hook eye; cement threads to hook. Marry eyes to hook at that point; drop of cement, bring thread back directly behind eyes. Catch the chenille end, wind snugly to point above hook barb and back to eye shoulder. At this point, make another couple/several wraps of chenille directly behind eye to shoulder wing/throat marabou up; secure chenille. Cross thread to eye front; take marabou barbs or partial blood quill and tie in directly in line above eye 'vee'; add krystal flashtaper finish head and cement.

If I didn't already say this, don't crowd the eye. I do it at times and end up snapping thread while trying to compact it without running out over the eye. BTW - that's a lazy/tired, 'too late at night to be tying', mistake, and you won't forget too many times before your head becomes frayed and out of proportion from having to re-tie, trying to finish.

There really isn't a ton of material on this hook. It just looks fat because of the marabou loft. Adjust body size to hook size, creating about a 1/1 proportion. Contrasting colors work as well.

#8 ·
BigDave - I've got a completely different hackle crawdad that Cookie Mons - oops - I mean DbleHaul, knows about.

Mr. Desjardins - did I give you one or two hackle tip bonefish patterns with double hackle sets??? - if so, would you put up the best looking one here, so Dave can see what I mean about the hackle placements - please??? :D

#12 ·
deja vu

dave,
just came across your fly pattern...looks very similiar to a fly we tie using purple marabou and peacock....style is the same...color is the only difference....is an excellent smallie and panfish fly up in the feeder criques in the summer!!!! we call ours a som' bitch. bet yours works even better!!!

#14 · (Edited)
(alright, I'll bite - and I'm not going for a post count. See above post for details)

Why, Thank You, Striblue, you are too kind in your compliments!:rolleyes:

(To others, who may be more serious and post interest which isn't suspect by it's very presence :whoa: )

This little pattern replicates any leech, shrimp, worm idea you might have; it can be tied down-size or up as far as your hook size will allow; length according to your 'creativeness' or 'artistic' ability (Hey, John! - :razz: ). The marabou swims, flows and tapers; it's almost a jig depending on strip/retrieve rate. Just remember to proportion materials accordingly.

Works fresh or salt equally well. Makes a great night eel in pearl black with a little 'deep purple' mixed in (get it, Stri - "Deep Purple" ??? :smokin: )

p.s. - J.D. - no, I guess I didn't show/give you that secret submarine. No big deal, I'll catch up with it. Mebbe tonite's envelope...:smokin:

#16 ·
See, this is Morin's attempt

To cause you all to feel badly for him, by making it seem as if he'd thrown out an olive branch of peace, only to have it be "slapped down" by my supposedly insensitive receipt of his surreptitious comment.

I am not so easily fooled; nor, should you be :tsk_tsk:

#18 ·
David..why in the world would I have ever conceived of such a thing as you suggest. I have made every attempt to be civil and polite to no avail. I guess I am the better man for it... so I feel good....can you say the same?....Dave?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.